Shaper AND Router Table?

Allen Grimes

Hey, guys, I've been thinking about building a really good router table but in my research, I've discovered that building a router table can get pretty costly. Not to mention the cost of a new router for handeld use.

So I was wondering, I am planning on buying a shaper anyway, and the one I am looking at in particular isn't much more expensive than the table I was planning on making so I may as well get it sooner rather than later.

But that leaves me with the burning question. If I do get the shaper, do I really need a router table as well? I mean, I know that there is the speed issue of having to change from collet to shaper blades and vice versa, but is that the only reason to make the router table?

Allen, I have been thinking along the same lines. I really need to upgrade the router/table setup I have now and had the same thoughts on cost justification, so I'll really be interested in the responses you get!

You may find part of your answer in the cost of shaper cutters. How many do you plan to invest in? Many shapers also have a router collet adapter so router bits can be used. Though router bits are design for much high RPM's with regard to their chip extraction geometry doesn't mean that will not be satisfactory used in the shaper.

No right and wrong here, just a matter of where you want to invest. I have considerable experience with routers and shapers scare the stuffings out of me, but if I was doing a lot of extensive and large profile cutting, I would opt for the shear power of a shaper over a router and table.

Doesn't need to be an 'or' decision. "And" works also, just depends on your application.

FWIW,

from one formerly known as the Router Lady!

Of course, Carol nailed it, the shaper cutters are a LOT more expensive than a router bit.

I also agree with the "And" way of thinking.

You can get a good router for table use for not much money, not if you go with one of them super duper EXPENSIVE (but nice) router lifts, yeah, it will cost you, but, if you build your own table and cabinet, buy a good insert, and a good router, I don't think it will cost you that much.

A good Router.........

Hitachi M12V2
hitachi_m12v2.jpg
$160

Good Router Plate
benchdog_r_plate.jpg
$77

Xtreme Xtension
xtreme_xtension.jpg
$52

Router Raizer
rout_raizer.jpg
$70

build the cabinet and table top.........

Just over $350, and I bet you can beat those prices with some shopping around, also, you don't really need the Xtreme Xtension, but it does make above the table bit changes a breeze (yes I need to get one!!).

and, you can use all of the router bits you have now!

Dunno how much a shaper with a decent set of cutter will cost?

I very much like my router table, and if I can do it in Tokyo, surely you can do it in the US! :wave: :D

Cheers!

Well, I already have a great router for the table. And I already know what lift I am going to get with it, if I do go that route. I also already have an almost complete design and it priced pretty high when I did a check of material costs, including the lift and the new handheld router.

I guess, I will probably just go with both. This way I can build the table as awesome as I want it to be, and save up for a better shaper as well. I might need some help on that table design though. Besides, I hate having to constantly change bits and blades and whatnot.