Canada gained another engineer on June 1

Rob Keeble

Well this week we had a whirlwind trip to Kingston ON and back .

Was my youngest sons Convocation and proud as a peacock his mom and dad attended.

I had a few teary moments as i thought of my Dad while sitting in the hall with all its regalia. He so badly wanted to be around for the day his grandson graduated but it was not to be. Know he will be as happy as can be looking down.

Here are a few pics of the event. He now has a Bsc civil engineering, still has the Engineering in Training portion to do before he gets a PEng but while he is doing that he is on to do his Masters for the next two years at Western University. (Art watch out for the character. lol). Given what he is currently doing, he has literally landed with his bum in the butter. Could not be more proud of him and his achievements. Only two more years before he finally moves out and spreads his wings. :D:thumb:

On Stage vk1 reduced.jpgfamilygroupshotreduced.jpg

Great pictures! And congrats for generating an engineer!

Darren, I see you beat me to the comment I was going to make, LOL

I hope they train them now days with hands on application. I have seen engineers that could design things that were impossible to make. They then told the shop foreman it was his problem how to fabricate the way they designed it & still be able to remove it from the machine. The engineer ended up working in the shop for about 2 years. He is now a very good engineer. He learned how to work side by side with the shop people. He now keeps 2 shop crews busy.

What a great feeling this must be! Congratulations to your son for achieving this milestone and persevering on to the next level, and to you and Linda for helping him get there.:thumb::thumb::congrats:

Congrats to all involved, Rob. :thumb:

What area of civil engineering is your son interested in pursuing? (My dad was a civil P.E. for over 50 years.)

Thanks All for the wishes. Tom he already has been working for each summer to date with a large consulting firm. They threw him in on the deep end with a bunch of projects (Canadian group of Ikea stores being one of them). So far he is keeping his head above water, but more important he is getting on well with the guys on site.

Vaughn he is going to specialize in structural engineering. He also likes concrete (dont ask me why, but he does) lol. This is the reason he is moving to Western from Queens to do his masters. The courses he wanted Western offers in their masters program.

Given what i saw at the Convocation, this generation is set for life. We got some very serious issues facing us as a country given what i saw as the cohort size graduating for his year.

We just not producing enough engineers of any kind to replace the existing guys in the field retiring, never mind cater to the growth of the country or the planned government billions in infrastructure spending that is to take place.

Then when one examines a city like Toronto the private property ownership, given age and weather wear and tear are under the hammer to do a ton of remediation projects.

I just dont see where all the trades, engineers etc are going to come from for the work that is coming down the pipeline. Much of it property owners here have no choice in, we talking about fundamental safety not cosmetic re development. I foresee a bunch of pull down and either re develop from scratch of leave land dormant. Dont see dormancy happening in Toronto so it will be a building boom then. Dont ask me where the money is going to come from.

What people dont see when we talk alternative energy forms is the massive amount of this kind of work involved when say a wind turbine field is setup. The design may be cookie cutter but the physical work is man hours.

Check out what goes into the base of a wind turbine if you have not seen it before.

2-image.jpg

http://www.power-technology.com/projects/lake-winds-energy-mason-county-michigan/

Kudus to your son for choosing a career wisely, for his accomplishments thus far, and his willingness to continue his education. And to his mother, of course. Is he the same son you rebuilt the car with a while back?

And good on you, Rob, for being a good Dad. There is way too little of that going around these days. Spend a day in my office and you will know what I mean.