Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure pots?

Pressure pots?

Ok. Got a few questions for you smart turning guys/ gals. I acquired 2 pressure tanks today that I would like to turn into pressure pots for resin. What would I need to do this. Vacuum pump or air pressure? Jigs? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	96087Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	96088will these work? Both have 300psi max pressure capability.
    If it can be Moulded I'll Mould It.
    I am a Profile Knife Grinder, Carbide service, Saw grinder, Moulder Operator in industry

Wow! Those are some serious looking pots. No actual experience, but those pots looked so heavy duty I had to say something. There is a HF pressure pot sitting on my to-do shelf waiting it's turn. I have read that resin casting uses vacuum.

I'm no expert but I've done a fair amount of acrylic casting for pens and bottle stoppers. I have the HF pressure pot that I re-plumbed for vacuum. I built a plywood frame to hold the forms inside it.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Jim the issue is think of here is not are they big or good enough but perhaps they are on the other side of too good as in too large. Unless you planning on going into production such that you plan to sell the output. Then you need the capacity.
    cheers

The smaller of the two is about 4x12" and the larger one is about 12 x36"
    If it can be Moulded I'll Mould It.
    I am a Profile Knife Grinder, Carbide service, Saw grinder, Moulder Operator in industry

Not sure the size of the pot is so much a factor. You just need enough room to insert a container containing resin and the pieces to be cast/stabilized. A larger container just means you have to pull vacuum on a larger space. A larger container also gives you the capability to stabilize larger pieces of punky spalted wood or other 'stuff'....maybe even experiment with a small vacuum kiln?

When my son got his acrylic he used the HF pot. The directions that came with the resin/acrylic said to use pressure. Squeezes out the bubbles I guess.
    If stabilizing use vacuum to suck the resin into the material.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    ... The directions that came with the resin/acrylic said to use pressure. Squeezes out the bubbles I guess. If stabilizing use vacuum to suck the resin into the material.
    Now, you get into philosophy, Bob. The basic instructions for casting resin say to mix it up and pour it in your mold - no mention of pressure or vacuum. Then, you have the pressure or vacuum camps. There are arguments both ways.

I should have clarified about my HF pot. I re-plumbed it to have both vacuum and pressure connections with a ball valve to choose which way to go. I use pressure for acrylic resin and vacuum for stabilizing. Since setting up the HF pot, I got a 1.5gal glass jar to use with vacuum for stabilizing so I can see when the bubbles stop coming out of the material.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I use a paint pot as is except for a couple brass fittings on top for vacuum stabilization. Work fine.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    Now, you get into philosophy, Bob. The basic instructions for casting resin say to mix it up and pour it in your mold - no mention of pressure or vacuum. Then, you have the pressure or vacuum camps. There are arguments both ways.

I should have clarified about my HF pot. I re-plumbed it to have both vacuum and pressure connections with a ball valve to choose which way to go. I use pressure for acrylic resin and vacuum for stabilizing. Since setting up the HF pot, I got a 1.5gal glass jar to use with vacuum for stabilizing so I can see when the bubbles stop coming out of the material.

This is the stuff that he used.
    http://www.alumilite.com/store/p/107...lications.aspx

I have no clue as to which is better, I've just watched him.
    Faith, Hope & Charity