first attempt at juice gooves

Dan Noren

Staff member
with things going so good today, i decided to attempt to do the juice grooves in a couple of boards for my brother's gf's daughter. first i rounded over the edges (as long as the bit was in the router). then i measured and cut the blanks for the templates. then drilled the holes for a rounded corner. then using the very good tape in the picture, attached the templates to the boards, then the boards to the bench i was using. then i started to route the grooves along the template edges. all went well until the last cut. the one for the larger of the 2 boards went ok, but the smaller one got away from me. only way to save the smaller board will be to plane it down, and call it a bread board.

Attachments

• 001 ready for grooving.jpg
    001 ready for grooving.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 010 ready to start grooves.jpg
    010 ready to start grooves.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 009 board hold downs.jpg
    009 board hold downs.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 008 templates attached.jpg
    008 templates attached.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 007 templates ready to attach.jpg
    007 templates ready to attach.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 006 good tape.jpg
    006 good tape.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 005 both templates cut.jpg
    005 both templates cut.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 004 holes cut for corners.jpg
    004 holes cut for corners.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 003 template blanks cut.jpg
    003 template blanks cut.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 002 edges rounded over.jpg
    002 edges rounded over.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 46
then pop stopped by, all dressed up for an open house, and a grad party.

Attachments

• 011 messed up groove.jpg
    011 messed up groove.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 46
  • pop all dressed up.jpg
    pop all dressed up.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 45
Well, stuff happens. Looks like you're on a good track. :thumb:

Did you give any consideration to using your CNC to cut the groove? I need to do a couple of cutting boards and was thinking about going a little oversize, setting 0,0 at the center (as I normally do), carve the juice groove, then cut the outer edge to final dimensions.

i've had these boards a touch longer than the cnc. my brother showed up with a couple of big slabs of former bowling alley, and said that she wanted boards of a certain size. these were the last 2 of that bunch.

I've done that. When I did it, it was because I was pulling the router in the wrong direction, and it wandered away. Lesson learned.

Me to. When your routing with the work between yourself and the router move the router from right to left. When routing a inside perimeter, like Dan's cutting board, route clockwise.

Bill

decided to save this board. not sure if it was going to be a bread board, or a cutting board with a groove (depending on how much thickness was left). got it flattened out again after a few runs in the planer, put the template back on it, and back to the bench. things went much better for this one than last time, with a nicely cut groove. rounded over the edges, and all that is left is the sanding and oiling.

Attachments

• 015 new groove cut and edges rounded over.jpg
    015 new groove cut and edges rounded over.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 014 back at the bench with template.jpg
    014 back at the bench with template.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 013 messed up groove gone.jpg
    013 messed up groove gone.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 012 messed up groove.jpg
    012 messed up groove.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 18
They look great, but WHY are you punishing yourself by taking out the piece of MDF that was in the center? You balanced you router on that thin 1" wide piece of MDF :eek: Ya got some skills, but why make it so hard? :D Cut the piece of MDF that your removed from the middle down so your router bit has some space but at least your will only have to pull the router outwards, not pull it outwards AND balance it on a thin 1" piece of MDF.

Did I say the boards look great?

Well they do! :thumb:

You did good, Dan! Nice save. :thumb:

Stu made a good point about using the piece of mdf you cut out of the center as a support for the router. Another way to add support is to attach a small piece of the mdf to the router base.