Thread: Never Worked Construction - Drywall or T1-11?

Never Worked Construction - Drywall or T1-11?

This will be soooo obvious to some of you. I'm in Southern California. I have an outer garage wall. Stucco outside, exposed studs inside. Most of the interior wall surface is insulated and drywalled. The exposed 7' x 12' area I would like to cover. Would you insulate and use drywall? Vapor barrier and T1-11 or like siding? Any suggestion will be superior to my most educated guess.

I will be putting French cleats on the wall and hanging pegboard panels, small cabinets or whatever as the shop evolves. I will also be installing some outlets to serve that area of the shop. This will also probably be the main area where my workbench stands; normally close enough to the wall to reach over and access the items hung on the pegboard.

I should mention that I plan to paint most of the shop interior a semi-gloss white unless you all have other advice on color and finish.

Thanks.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-09-2007 at 03:43 AM.

Either will work, drywall isn't as cheap as a lot of siding though, and takes more work to finish. If there is both a moisture source and climate control in the garage then a vapor barrier is a good idea, otherwise don't bother. Most garages breath pretty good anyway.

glen, 7x12 is a small area so you could even use a nice grade of plywood and make a "pretty" wall. i`d skip drywall or any masonite type product since you want to hang stuff from the wall, and i too would skip the separate vapor barrier and use kraft faced insulation behind your sheeting....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Depends on the look you are after. T1-11 seems kinda rough for interior walls. I'd go with Tod's suggestion on ply. If you are going to paint it, a 'sanded ply' would be good enuf.

Since you are '60 miles EAST of Joshua Tree' (where anything over 25% is considered HIGH humidity!), I don't think you have any vapor to barrier.

Thanks everybody. I'm all for skipping the drywall.

i vote to veneer it:)

that way it would really look sharp and you could look at the pretty grain everyday you were in there.. seriously i would go for vapor barrier either and in mine am going with raw osb fer now unless someone tells me a good reason for being differnt
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

*IF* you are someplace that might care, you should check what code is. If it's a detached garage, it's likely not to matter but if it is an attached garage, you might have code issues if there isn't some drywall involved. I know code where I am required me to have drywall from floor to ceiling on my attached garage despite the fact that I wanted to do otherwise.

Interior wall covering

Glenn
    Used T1-11 for the interior walls of the gift shop, so that Katy can put nails into it anywhere she pleases - to hang "stuff."
    It's 5/8 inch thick and works out well for hanging "stuff."
    It is rustic in appearance.
    Boy! has she got "stuff."
    Daniel

Glenn....I'm still finishing my shop. Some of the inmates here and at another site decided I needed to learn to turn wood and lathed me. I can tell you from experience....I have 1/2 plywood on the walls and 5/8" sheetrock on the ceiling. If the ceiling was done with plywood...my shop would be finished. I wished I'd taken Frank's advice and put plywood there too!