Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entry Level Band Saw

Entry Level Band Saw

So when I started getting various tools and equipment, I got quite a few Craftsman items - drill press, table saw, and router. I know they probably aren't the best quality, but I'm about to purchase a band saw. I'm trying to find a good entry level saw - trying to find that sweet spot of quality and price - knowing that I'm still relatively new. So I don't need a $1,000 saw. I also don't want to buy a $129 Craftsman bandsaw if it's going to be low quality and never provide a good cut.

So yeah. I was hoping someone could help guide me in this a bit with recommendations.

A few that I was looking at...
    http://www.rockler.com/jet-jwb-10-open-stand-10-bandsaw
    https://www.amazon.com/Rikon-10-305-...ywords=bandsaw

And here is the Craftsman I was considering...
    http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-3-h...1&blockType=G1

I wouldn't choose any of the saws you listed. Of course, a lot depends on the type of work you do or plan to do but IMO you wouldn't be happy with any of those after a fairly short time of using them. By happy I mean you will probably out grow them quickly. I would suggest that you consider at least a 14" bandsaw. A 14" saw will give you more power and versatility. A used name brand 14" bandsaw can often be found on craigslist for about the same amount of money that you were looking to spend on those 10"ers. You stated you didn't want to spend $1000 for a bandsaw but for about half of that amount you could get this Grizzly delivered to your door, http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-1...campaign=zPage .
    Dave

Many moons ago, and maybe even in a galaxy far, far away I bought the Craftsman 14" 1hp bandsaw. For the first year, while under warranty it performed fairly well. For my purposes, as I am strictly a turner, I use it for other things than flatworkers. After the first year, as well as the warranty, I started having problems with the rollers on the guide. They were seizing up all the time and I was replacing them it seems rather regularly. For some reason I haven't had to buy any for about 2 years or so and I am totally amazed at that. The rubber tires on the two main wheels do like to wear kinda funny, so those have been replaced and that is no easy task. I have a Grizzly lathe that has out performed a lot of other lathes for about 8 1/2-9 years. I did finally have to replace the main headstock bearings which was interesting. But, not overly difficult. I'd personally put my money in the Grizzly that Dave Sweeney talked about. My next bandsaw will definitely be a Grizzly which will happen later this year.

grizzly 555 bandsaw, and g7943 drill press, and you can't go wrong.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    check out Craigs list for used. Here is one in your area I would give a serious look.

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/tls/5619760037.html
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

There is really no such thing as an 'entry level' tool. There are tools that will accomplish what you need, and tools that won't. Figure how much you are going to use the bandsaw, and for what purposes. Then, if a tool that is commonly described as "entry level" will work for you, get that one. On the other hand, if you need a 14" bandsaw with an 8" depth of cut, you're going to have to spend a little, er a lot more. Overconfigure a litttle too. There is nothing more disappointing than one day having a job that your tool is just shy of handling. DAMHIKT.

Most of my tools are described as "entry level" I.e. Ryobi and Skil, my tablesaw is a little better, because the first one I got was not adequate for some of the cutting I needed to do. My bandsaw is a 30-year-old Rockwell/Beaver with a 6" depth of cut. Works perfectly, and has done everything I ask of it.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    check out Craigs list for used. Here is one in your area I would give a serious look.

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/tls/5619760037.html
    Yeah, I kind of left a bit of a drool stain down the front of my shirt when I saw that one.
    Love thy neighbor, yet pull down not thy hedge.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Yeah, I kind of left a bit of a drool stain down the front of my shirt when I saw that one.
    for $600 it is a steal. I would call the a high entry level band saw.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Another vote on the grizzly

I love mine.

Ditto on the Griz G0555. I have one along with the G0513. You can't go wrong.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station