Entry Level Band Saw

Justin Neel

So when I started getting various tools and equipment, I got quite a few Craftsman items - drill press, table saw, and router. I know they probably aren't the best quality, but I'm about to purchase a band saw. I'm trying to find a good entry level saw - trying to find that sweet spot of quality and price - knowing that I'm still relatively new. So I don't need a $1,000 saw. I also don't want to buy a $129 Craftsman bandsaw if it's going to be low quality and never provide a good cut.

So yeah. I was hoping someone could help guide me in this a bit with recommendations.

A few that I was looking at...
http://www.rockler.com/jet-jwb-10-open-stand-10-bandsaw
https://www.amazon.com/Rikon-10-305...e=UTF8&qid=1465494309&sr=1-1&keywords=bandsaw

And here is the Craftsman I was considering...
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-3-...p-00921400000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I wouldn't choose any of the saws you listed. Of course, a lot depends on the type of work you do or plan to do but IMO you wouldn't be happy with any of those after a fairly short time of using them. By happy I mean you will probably out grow them quickly. I would suggest that you consider at least a 14" bandsaw. A 14" saw will give you more power and versatility. A used name brand 14" bandsaw can often be found on craigslist for about the same amount of money that you were looking to spend on those 10"ers. You stated you didn't want to spend $1000 for a bandsaw but for about half of that amount you could get this Grizzly delivered to your door, http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-1-HP-Bandsaw-Polar-Bear-Series/G0555P?utm_campaign=zPage .

Many moons ago, and maybe even in a galaxy far, far away I bought the Craftsman 14" 1hp bandsaw. For the first year, while under warranty it performed fairly well. For my purposes, as I am strictly a turner, I use it for other things than flatworkers. After the first year, as well as the warranty, I started having problems with the rollers on the guide. They were seizing up all the time and I was replacing them it seems rather regularly. For some reason I haven't had to buy any for about 2 years or so and I am totally amazed at that. The rubber tires on the two main wheels do like to wear kinda funny, so those have been replaced and that is no easy task. I have a Grizzly lathe that has out performed a lot of other lathes for about 8 1/2-9 years. I did finally have to replace the main headstock bearings which was interesting. But, not overly difficult. I'd personally put my money in the Grizzly that Dave Sweeney talked about. My next bandsaw will definitely be a Grizzly which will happen later this year.

There is really no such thing as an 'entry level' tool. There are tools that will accomplish what you need, and tools that won't. Figure how much you are going to use the bandsaw, and for what purposes. Then, if a tool that is commonly described as "entry level" will work for you, get that one. On the other hand, if you need a 14" bandsaw with an 8" depth of cut, you're going to have to spend a little, er a lot more. Overconfigure a litttle too. There is nothing more disappointing than one day having a job that your tool is just shy of handling. DAMHIKT.

Most of my tools are described as "entry level" I.e. Ryobi and Skil, my tablesaw is a little better, because the first one I got was not adequate for some of the cutting I needed to do. My bandsaw is a 30-year-old Rockwell/Beaver with a 6" depth of cut. Works perfectly, and has done everything I ask of it.

It took me several years to learn (the hard way) that I never save money by buying less of a tool than I need. So my suggestion would be to determine what you want to use your bandsaw for, and buy one that will perform those functions readily. If you are cutting curves in 1/2" stock, one of those little 10" saws might be all you need. But if you want to cut thicker stock, or if you want to prep turning blanks, then a small saw like that will only frustrate you, and ultimately be a waste of your money when you replace it with the tool you needed in the first place. I, and a lot of the other guys here, have done exactly that with more than one tool. ;)

As some of the other guys mentioned, with a bit of work and patience, you can get a very usable 14" saw on the used market for about the same price as you're looking at paying for a new 10 incher. :thumb:

Were i shopping today with what i have learnt from here over the years and my own experience with a $1000 14" bandsaw, i would be looking for a second hand cast iron delta type series which covers the grizzly range of 14") bandsaw.
They can be had in the price range of the sears 10" you linked to.
But then be prepared to do a few refurbishments to it.
Like new tires, guide blocks , linkbelt, and spring and maybe a couple of bearings on the wheels. None too difficult to do and all freely available from several suppliers. If you are selective in your choice, you can pick up one that has decent horsepower motor.

But....if you not into tinkering with your machines and would rather spend the time you have for the hobby making sawdust, then follow the advice you have been given and spring for a grizzly 14" .
If and when you do, add a 6 " riser block to your order and be done with it. That will allow you extra cutting height and avoid starting out with a blade length one size and having to change all the blades you will end up with later. Although you really need to recognize blades for these things are consumables.
To me the Grizzly 14" series is the perfect sweet spot for a small bandsaw. And will give you many years of use. Good support, parts very interchangeable what more can you want. ☺

I all ready have a 14" bandsaw for 14 years, I would not go lower then à 14" bandsaw I where you. The differance 10" and 14" is to great for the price. The Grizzly G0555P is on sale $445.00. and on a 14" bandsaw you can add a rizer block to resaw higher board. That is my own opinion. Have a great day.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

My first bandsaw (after I had been woodworking for 30+ years) was a 10 inch benchtop unit. It never worked well enough to use for more than a few minutes, then needed major adjusting. A saber saw worked better. I sold it on the home for bad tools (craigs list) for $45 - the buyer swore he loved it, but I saw it back on Craig's list a few months later.

Everyone said that a 14 inch was minimal. At that time the Jet 14 inch was the "go to" brand, so I sprung for it (close to $1000, as I recall). Then I saw the Grizzly 555, made from the same castings, but with numerous extra features. A while later a friend visited my shop, and said the Jet 14 was his dream saw; if I ever wanted to sell it let him know. Within the week I made him an offer of the Jet for the price of the G555, he was happy, and I got the G555 (closer to $500 than $1000). That was probably 15 years ago, and I still have and use the G555 with a riser block.

A few years ago I had the chance to buy a refurbished MM24 bandsaw for a great price. I took it, and now have the big bandsaw dedicated to resawing and straight cuts with a $120 1 inch carbide blade, and the G555, typically with a 3/16 inch blade for curve work. When I got the big saw, the blades were closer to $250, so I kept the Grizzly to reduce the chance of damaging the expensive blades on the big saw. Even though the blade cost is no longer an issue, I love having both bandsaws.

Last edited: