Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sewing machine my nephew lucked into

falcon heights, minnesota

sewing machine my nephew lucked into

it is an old (circa early 1900's) singer sewing machine. what he found out was an older lady had passed, and relatives were emptying the apartment. this was sitting out with a free sign on it. almost all quarter sawn white oak, with what i believe is a shellac finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0134 (700x467).jpg   IMG_0135 (700x467).jpg   IMG_0136 (700x467).jpg   IMG_0137 (700x467).jpg   IMG_0138 (700x467).jpg  

IMG_0139 (700x467).jpg   IMG_0140 (700x467).jpg   IMG_0141 (700x467).jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

Escondido, CA
    Great find!

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

The Gorge Area, Oregon
    Wow that's in fantastic shape, finding one with the veneer intact around here is basically like looking for hens teeth.

With that in mind, the "top" (all the large flat surfaces) of the cabinet is all veneer work, so treat it carefully while re-finishing. Its thicker than modern veneer (maybe up to 1/16" or so..) but its still veneer.

Did you happen to catch which model this is?
    Love thy neighbor, yet pull down not thy hedge.

Thomasville, GA
    That cabinet looks good, Dan. My wife picked up one in Atlanta a few years ago with an almost identical cabinet, but it's a Coats & Clark machine with a plain base.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

That was a great find. Worth every penny of it. Have refinished several of these which came out OK but what a hassle. This one looks pristine with no work needed. Wife used her treadle machine to sew commercially never had a lick of trouble. Now her new one does it all with the push of a button.

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    My mother had one almost exactly like that... and when I was about 10, it almost cost me my big toe.... my sister was sweeping and wanted me to move the sewing machine, I grabbed it, lifted on end and promptly dropped it on the big toe on my left foot....that little bitty iron wheel smashed my toe, we had blood every where and about 3 months later, the whole nail came off.
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Outside the beltway
    Very nice fine. I was given one a couple weeks ago by one of the appraisers I've worked with over the years and her husband tetired and they were moving to Fla.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::

falcon heights, minnesota
    i told him that he should just leave it as is, rather than having it look like it just came off the showroom floor.
    benedictione omnes bene

Oliver Springs, TN
    That was a nice score! I had one that was my Great Grandmothers. The cabinet was shot. It too was QS oak veneer over ply that had started coming apart. I took the top off and made the base into a table and gave it to my sister.
    Windrock Custom Calls

Parker County, Texas
    You just never know what treasures you will find! And that is definitely a treasure!