state fair cribbage board

Dan Noren

Staff member
ran some tests today on mdf. i thought that a 20 degree bit would be good for the car, and the lettering. the car was ok, but the lettering went deeper than i thought it would. so, i ran another test (the one at the top is where the text will be), using a 30 degree bit. worked out pretty good, but a bit shallower than i would like. so, set it up so that the start depth was .01", and it worked out the best of the three tests. now to try this on real wood.

Attachments

• 001 test of engraving.jpg
    001 test of engraving.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 66
cut and glued up the white oak blank for the cribbage board. hopefully tomorrow i can sand it, and start the finishing steps.

Attachments

• 002 blank glued up.jpg
    002 blank glued up.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 19
sanded the blank today, and got the dye on it. in a day or so, wipe it down with 220, and hit it with the dewaxed shellac. so far, so good....:crossed:

Attachments

• 003 sanded and ready for dye.jpg
    003 sanded and ready for dye.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 004 dyed.jpg
    004 dyed.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 19
with the christmas signs out of the way, started in on the cribbage board for the fair. removed the setup for the signs, and rerigged for the cribbage board. i first cut the skunk lines, along with the s. then, as they used the same 20 degree bit, started the engraving of the body. with that done, switched to a 30 degree bit for the lettering. with the lettering out of the way, swapped bits again, to a 1/8" end mill, for drilling the holes. a couple of close calls with this one, the first was when i hit return to zero, instead of reset zero. no damage there. the other was when i was almost finished drilling the holes, when a board i was picking up slipped out of my hand, landed on a curl of cords, one of which happened to be resting on the on/off switch of the power strip (on the floor, haven't found a permanent home for it yet), and turned it off, cutting off power to everything. after a painstaking repositioning of the new zero, started drilling again. this time the cnc gods were smiling on me, as the bit hit the first hole (and all the rest) dead center. that extended the work time by another hour or so, but got away clean on that one. today, i hit it with the walnut gel stain, and the effect was what i thought it would be. now all that is left to do, is hit the back with dewaxed shellac, then the back and sides with the gel stain, another coat of dewaxed shellac, and 2-3 coats of clear shellac.

Attachments

• 013 gel stain rubbed in.jpg
    013 gel stain rubbed in.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 012 cnc work done.jpg
    012 cnc work done.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 17
  • 011 start of hole drilling.jpg
    011 start of hole drilling.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 010 lettering done.jpg
    010 lettering done.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 009 car body engraving almost done.jpg
    009 car body engraving almost done.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 008 second skunk line.jpg
    008 second skunk line.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 17
  • 007 first skunk line.jpg
    007 first skunk line.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 006 start of car body engraving.jpg
    006 start of car body engraving.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 005 start of cnc work.jpg
    005 start of cnc work.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 21
Always nice to get the placement but that is a great piece.

How many hours do you suppose you have in it? And how fast could you turn them out now. If you wanted to do production on the little cnc. They would sell like hotcakes at a lot of of auto events I think.

Garry