Here's one of the latest things I've finished up. It's a Myoporum root ball bowl. I mentioned this one a month or so ago in this thread. It's about 9 1/2" wide x 5 1/2" tall. This stuff dried pretty hard, and it was a bear to get sanded to my liking. (Way too much hand sanding, since I couldn't get my little 2" Grex ROS to a lot of the inside surfaces.) There's a lot of burl figure in the wood, and it is prone to showing scratches.
I'm still not completely happy with the finish. It's gloss tung oil/varnish mix, with the sheen knocked down a bit with a white Scotch Brite. I'll live with it for a few days, and if it continues to bother me I'll re-do it. I'm not overwhelmed by the form, but it was pretty much where the wood was in the root ball, so I worked with what I had. I wanted to slope the rim a bit differently, but again, the available wood dictated the shape. (If I'd beveled the rim, one of the main chunks of the rim would have been lost.) I also would have liked to turn it a bit thinner (it's about 1/2" thick), but I didn't want to press my luck. I did have one piece detach when I was rough turning it, but after it dried I glued it back in with epoxy and instant coffee, then cleaned up any visible glue with a Dremel. It looks like two pieces, but it's the little dark pork chop-shaped piece in the middle of the second picture right under the rim, and the piece directly below that one.
Enough excuses...here's the finished product:
Attachment 8409 Attachment 8405 Attachment 8406 Attachment 8407 Attachment 8408
Comments, crituques and catcalls are welcome...