Plaque of Marine Soldier

Nothing short of brilliant Steve.

I would really urge you to give a go to what Toni said with regards to removing the background to the level of the lowest level.

Don't do it on this one, but just carve something basic and see the effect it has. If you want to really prove the point carve the same small item twice. Once with your style of leaving the background raised and once with it removed. Then put them side by side.

Still none of this takes away from the fact that you carved a really neat carving. Loads of detail in this one. Man you have patience.

Thank you Rob!....I totally agree with you. I think that Toni is right, It does make the subject pop out more. But, I decided that the extra time and work in taking out the extra wood just didn't seem worth it to me.....I do appreciate you comment...I welcome any and all constructive criticism....That's how one gets better at what their doing....I hope that you understand that this was more of a time factor decision on my part.

Thanks Pete....I don't know much about laser carving but, I imagine there probably are some carvings that laser can't make...I would hate to see the human element taken out of everything...even to the point where we are left just pushing buttons with no creativity.