Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Almost Ridiculous!

Almost Ridiculous!

I know it's June. Working on being July. The temps we have been having actually have not been all that bad, being in the low to mid 90's. What's ridiculous are the heat indexes we have been having due to all the rain. When I finally stopped working yesterday it was only 94 but the heat index was 111. Now they are saying we are getting ready to hit near 100 and who only knows what that heat index will be. I do. Miserable. As the old saying goes, ain't got no control over the weather. I just hope no one else in the family is having to deal with this. If you are, keep hydrated!

What I find ridiculous is that the weather guessers have come up with another talking point..."heat index"... if the temperature is 95 it's 95... if it's 110 then it's 110... how do we know what a "feels like" temperature is if it isn't that temp.... hot is hot and humid is humid, but I think the "heat index" numbers are just so the weather people will have their talking point.

same with daylight savings time... we haven't "saved" any daylight, we just used it at a different mark on the clock.

BTW, this is just my thoughts on the subject and not intended to stir up any trouble...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Wow! Our temperatures tend to be in the mid-teens in the morning, and sometimes as high as 25 in the afternoon. Some mornings I actually want to put a sweatshirt on. Twenty degrees is shorts weather here. Heat index? What's that?
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Chuck, I could very well be wrong here. But, I think what they are trying to say is that if it is 95, and then you add 75% humidity to the air, then it is going to raise the effect it has on you. I don't like the term "feels like" either. I know what it feels like. A sauna. I'm out in it not sitting in front of a computer trying to figger out another term to make people like us mad. I do know that if it's 95 with 75% humidity I gotta drink lots more water with my lemon juice in it. I hate saying this but I think Ben Franklin was a dingbat coming up with the idea of that daylight savings time. Roger, you might want to consider not coming down this way this time of year. It's gonna be brain frying hot down here fairly soon.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    well Living in Arizona we know it's gonna be hot hot hot until September and we don't believe in daylight savings time so we don't participate.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    well Living in Arizona we know it's gonna be hot hot hot until September and we don't believe in daylight savings time so we don't participate.
    And..."It ain't the heat; it's the humidity." Right?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I want to get a movement going to have Ontario stay on EDT all year long. We could use the extra hour of daylight in the winter, when it gets dark at 4:30 even in the south. Saskatchewan doesn't do daylight savings either, but I think that's because they could never remember which way to adjust their clocks.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    And..."It ain't the heat; it's the humidity." Right?
    No Jim 110 is Hot no matter what people say. I counter it by getting in the sauna at the GYM. After 15 min. in a 60 degree sauna 110 feels kinda cool...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don, I've been around your area a couple of times or so. And a police officer I knew that moved from Phoenix to this area just about crapped out his first summer here because of the humidity. He adjusted fairly well, or at least the last time I saw him he had. Guess it's sorta like when I got to Viet Nam they took 3-4 days to get you acclimated. That is unless you were needed right then. Lots of exercises to get you used to the climate there. I'm too old for that crap now. Arizona and a short list of other states don't use DST and I don't blame them. Dumbest thing I ever saw. Well, almost.

And wouldn't you know it, my daughter chose tomorrow to move to her new apartment. I've offered to leave the truck and trailer parked at the house and let her and her friends load it. If that actually happens, then I'll drive it to the new apartment for her and her friends to unload. Otherwise I'm OK with waiting for a cooler day, but we'll see how things go.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault