Almost Ridiculous!

Dave Hoskins

I know it's June. Working on being July. The temps we have been having actually have not been all that bad, being in the low to mid 90's. What's ridiculous are the heat indexes we have been having due to all the rain. When I finally stopped working yesterday it was only 94 but the heat index was 111. Now they are saying we are getting ready to hit near 100 and who only knows what that heat index will be. I do. Miserable. As the old saying goes, ain't got no control over the weather. I just hope no one else in the family is having to deal with this. If you are, keep hydrated!

What I find ridiculous is that the weather guessers have come up with another talking point..."heat index"... if the temperature is 95 it's 95... if it's 110 then it's 110... how do we know what a "feels like" temperature is if it isn't that temp.... hot is hot and humid is humid, but I think the "heat index" numbers are just so the weather people will have their talking point.

same with daylight savings time... we haven't "saved" any daylight, we just used it at a different mark on the clock.

BTW, this is just my thoughts on the subject and not intended to stir up any trouble...

Wow! Our temperatures tend to be in the mid-teens in the morning, and sometimes as high as 25 in the afternoon. Some mornings I actually want to put a sweatshirt on. Twenty degrees is shorts weather here. Heat index? What's that?

Chuck, I could very well be wrong here. But, I think what they are trying to say is that if it is 95, and then you add 75% humidity to the air, then it is going to raise the effect it has on you. I don't like the term "feels like" either. I know what it feels like. A sauna. I'm out in it not sitting in front of a computer trying to figger out another term to make people like us mad. I do know that if it's 95 with 75% humidity I gotta drink lots more water with my lemon juice in it. I hate saying this but I think Ben Franklin was a dingbat coming up with the idea of that daylight savings time. Roger, you might want to consider not coming down this way this time of year. It's gonna be brain frying hot down here fairly soon.

well Living in Arizona we know it's gonna be hot hot hot until September and we don't believe in daylight savings time so we don't participate.

I want to get a movement going to have Ontario stay on EDT all year long. We could use the extra hour of daylight in the winter, when it gets dark at 4:30 even in the south. Saskatchewan doesn't do daylight savings either, but I think that's because they could never remember which way to adjust their clocks.

Don, I've been around your area a couple of times or so. And a police officer I knew that moved from Phoenix to this area just about crapped out his first summer here because of the humidity. He adjusted fairly well, or at least the last time I saw him he had. Guess it's sorta like when I got to Viet Nam they took 3-4 days to get you acclimated. That is unless you were needed right then. Lots of exercises to get you used to the climate there. I'm too old for that crap now. Arizona and a short list of other states don't use DST and I don't blame them. Dumbest thing I ever saw. Well, almost.

And wouldn't you know it, my daughter chose tomorrow to move to her new apartment. I've offered to leave the truck and trailer parked at the house and let her and her friends load it. If that actually happens, then I'll drive it to the new apartment for her and her friends to unload. Otherwise I'm OK with waiting for a cooler day, but we'll see how things go.

I'm too old for that crap now. Arizona and a short list of other states don't use DST and I don't blame them. Dumbest thing I ever saw. Well, almost.

Funny thing about daylight savings. the state does not change time except for the Navajo reservation. It actually takes in parts of 4 states and three of them do change time so it makes sense for the part of the Reservation that is in Arizona to follow the rest of the reservation. The Hopi reservation which is totally surrounded by the Navajo reservation but lies totally within borders of Arizona does not change time. So if you drive to the Hopi reservation from off of the reservation you go from no daylight savings to daylight savings to no daylight savings and never leave the state of Arizona.

Well, I don't think everything is bigger here. But, Houston? Been there and didn't leave anything to go back for. That is one hot and humid and miserable city. Sam Houston is probably rolling in his grave knowing they named that city after him. Oh, well. That is kinda weird about those reservations. All I know is I came in for the day a while ago and took a nice lukewarm shower and feel better about everything. Sorta. I just know it's going to be this way until some of the ground moisture bakes off.

I'm a Texas boy, born and raised in Waco. In 1980, I was living in Stephenville which is about 90 miles southwest of Ft. Worth and considered as bordering "West Texas". It was quite warm that year, to say the least. In June, we were having 100° days routinely, some much higher. I was preparing for a job transfer to Houston. Our temperatures in Stephenville kept getting higher; being where it's located, the humidity is generally very low. I recall sitting under our trees outside sipping iced tea and the afternoon temps were between 110-115°. It was comfortable because the humidity was less than 5%. Having to deal with the highs in Stephenville, Houston highs being in the 92-95° range sounded good! That is, until we made to move down there! Afternoon highs in the mid-90s in Houston are considered "extreme" because of the 80% and higher humidity. So, it was 20° cooler in Houston on the thermometer but the effect was to feel like walking into a wet blanket anytime you walked outdoors!!!

I'm a Texas boy, born and raised in Waco. In 1980, I was living in Stephenville which is about 90 miles southwest of Ft. Worth and considered as bordering "West Texas". It was quite warm that year, to say the least. In June, we were having 100° days routinely, some much higher. I was preparing for a job transfer to Houston. Our temperatures in Stephenville kept getting higher; being where it's located, the humidity is generally very low. I recall sitting under our trees outside sipping iced tea and the afternoon temps were between 110-115°. It was comfortable because the humidity was less than 5%. Having to deal with the highs in Stephenville, Houston highs being in the 92-95° range sounded good! That is, until we made to move down there! Afternoon highs in the mid-90s in Houston are considered "extreme" because of the 80% and higher humidity. So, it was 20° cooler in Houston on the thermometer but the effect was to feel like walking into a wet blanket anytime you walked outdoors!!!

in June 1994 my wife and I moved to Tucson from Houston.... it was 106 on the day we arrived at our new apartment and started unloading the truck... felt down right cool to me. Locals were all inside with the swamp coolers set on high.... my step-son drove the truck out for us and helped with the moving... he stayed a week with us, then went back to Houston... next day we got a phone call and he asked if he could come back and stay with us while he found work... he said, "It's like breathing water here in Houston"....

Well it might not be in 95 degree heat until August down here and never any higher than that. Today we finally broke the spell we were in. Only 86 but we had a dew point of 81. Felt like cutting the air with a knife - liquid air. I've lived here for 40 years and never seen it like that before. Sure it will get hot in August but the dew point will stay in the high 70's. What a relief today was, only 88 but dew point was only 75. Brother the wind felt like a cool breeze.

I'm west of Dave about 1.75 hours. Normally, our humidity is about 30% in the summer which isn't too bad. This year it seems to be stuck at 75%+. Was in El Paso last week. Humidity was 15%. I told my son I was moving in with him if ours didn't break soon. I'm starting to grow gills.

Here is an example of what I have going on here. It's 7:40 am and fixing to get outside to the shop. It's 83 with 79% humidity, and a supposed heat index of 100. That has the makings of a rather short day out there. I think they said it will be near 100 this afternoon. And of course you just know the humidity is going to be at least 50%. No fun.

Well it might not be in 95 degree heat until August down here and never any higher than that. Today we finally broke the spell we were in. Only 86 but we had a dew point of 81. Felt like cutting the air with a knife - liquid air. I've lived here for 40 years and never seen it like that before. Sure it will get hot in August but the dew point will stay in the high 70's. What a relief today was, only 88 but dew point was only 75. Brother the wind felt like a cool breeze.

Im not happy Im travelling to the west palm beach area end of july. I do not deal with humidity well, actually, it shuts me down.
I don't think when I hear you posting dew points of 75 or above I will even step outside, only to retrieve the car.

... It's 7:40 am and fixing to get outside to the shop. ...

How do you know someone's a real Texan? Well, I'm fixin' ta tell ya!

From Urban Dictionary:

fixing to
Generally used only in the state of Texas, 'fixing to' is the equivalent of 'about to' or 'getting ready to'. If used outside of Texas, likely the person using it is from Texas or has spent a great deal of time in Texas. Also, this person will likely be on the receiving end of, "You're... what?"

"I'm fixing to watch the football game on TV."