old pine score

In the town where I teach they have been renovating one of the old buildings in town that was built in the early 1900's. I was asking my students if they knew who was doing the renovation. I found out it was one of their uncles. To make a long story short we hooked up and I am getting the old floor joists that are original to the building. There's around 15 or 20, 12 foot long, rough sawn full size 2 x 12's. I ran down yesterday and got a couple to check out to see if they are still worth getting, they are! As I suspected it's old pine. It has between 60 and 70 growth rings per inch. It's some gorgeous stuff. Here's a picture of a small piece i cut off to check. I bookmatched a piece to see how it'll look. The picture doesn't do it justice.

old pine.jpg

Nice score! That grain is beautiful. I once lived in a house built in1880. The floor joists varied from 10½ to 12 inches, and 1 7/8 to 2¼ wide. I'd have liked to take some away, but the house would have fallen down. :rolleyes:

Thanks all. We went down this morning and picked up the rest of the lumber. There was I think 25 total and most were 15 footers. I'm pumped! Free money wise is always good, definitely not free in the labor department. I see in my future pulling about 50 lbs on #8 nails and various hardware. Here's a picture of the first three I picked up the other day and the stack from today.20160620_105859 (1).jpg

pine.jpg