New appreciation for Scroll work

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I took at Scroll saw class at the guild today and now will have a whole new appreciation for the work some of you folks do here. I haven't used one since I was about 16 and my Dad's was an old Black and Decker that doubled as a hand numbing device, due to all the vibration. :)

I found it to be a totally different beast in how you work the piece and the blade with one another. I kept trying to force the blade left or right (like you can with a bandsaw), which of course doesn't work, and doesn't work well on a bandsaw either.

This is the book we were doing patterns from and that was recommended to get for starting out: https://www.amazon.com/Scroll-Saw-Workbook-John-Nelson/dp/1565238494

The first piece is the bottom left one, an exercise in doing straight lines, curves, and turning on a dime, none of which I did well. The cat was an exercise of correcting a cut-out and practice backing the blade up to keep on the line, and the fish was one to do continuous cuts using loops to keep things flowing.
2016-06-18 13.14.23.jpg

Looks to me like you have a new skill to advance in. I remember using an old Dremel scroll saw in the Scouts back in the day. Don't remember what all we cut out on it, but we cut something out. I had thought about getting one for cutting out roughs for walking cane handles, but the two I tried out that friends owned didn't have the guts to cut bodark. So, I dropped that idea. If it can't cut bodark like a hot knife through butter, I don't belong in my shop. Good luck on your new venture! :thumb:

Scrolling is a great way to relax. I have been scrolling since 1981. A couple tips. Don't practice on pine. The difference between the hard and soft wood makes it impossible to saw a smooth line. When sawing a curve don't stop. You will create a flat spot. If you miss the line come back to it gradually. After the pattern is removed no one will ever know. When you start to get frustrated (and you will) get up and walk away.

Attachments

• 2011-11-18 10.01.18_kindlephoto-71363477.jpg
    2011-11-18 10.01.18_kindlephoto-71363477.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 14
Scroll saws are fun, but haven't used one in a while... I have a nice one I got for Father's day 15 or so years ago... Nice 2 speed Dremel, but it's been collecting dust for last 8 or 10 years... the slow side of the switch is faster than the fast side...