drat, drat, and double drat!!!!!

Dan Noren

Staff member
just had it confirmed by our pc guy at work, the hard drive in my laptop is dead. :doh::bang::mad::bonkers::pullhair::tantrum: luckily enough, all my really good files were all on flash drives. :D i checked around, and found a 500gig hard drive for $55+tax. until then, the cnc machine is without a brain.....:eek: also, i've just downloaded, and unzipped the install files for windows 10. now i just have to remember what all else i had on there....

I keep things in dropbox, a copy goes in the cloud and to each computer/device connected. Might consider a usb drive if internet is a concern, have one on Moms laptop, she just has to plug in periodically and the software (Western Digital) backs up what isnt there or has changed. If using linux, look at setting up an rsync job up.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I have a separate drive for JUST DATA. Everything I save gets saved there. Then I have an external backup drive. It backs up automatically monthly. I have about 500+ gigs of data. No full length movies. Every now and then I will replace the drive with a new one, cause they just don't last forever. I just don't trust "clouds" for data storage.

I have a separate drive for JUST DATA. Everything I save gets saved there. Then I have an external backup drive. It backs up automatically monthly. I have about 500+ gigs of data. No full length movies. Every now and then I will replace the drive with a new one, cause they just don't last forever. I just don't trust "clouds" for data storage.
Nor should you or anyone, but they make a great 2nd or 3rd safe place and the sunc works well for using the same files on more than one pc./device. I also have a few 1TB usb drives I swap out, keep one in my work bag, one in the shop, and one at the house that get rotated. I also run cryptonite on my main laptop as another restore/backup option, but may not renew it this next year when it expires.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I have a couple of USB portable backup drives that I rotate between on my laptop (the only computer being used around here these days), but at this point I'm not using any cloud-based backups. This machine has been up nearly non-stop since December 2011, so I really should make sure I've got good image backups of my system partition, where I've got the OS and all of my programs. I've got multiple copies of my data partition so I'm not too worried in that department.

...I also have a few 1TB usb drives I swap out, keep one in my work bag, one in the shop, and one at the house that get rotated. I also run cryptonite on my main laptop as another restore/backup option, but may not renew it this next year when it expires.

That's pretty thorough. I just print all of my email and other files and save them in a big 3-ring binder. Hardcopy, baby!

And for photos, I just display them on my monitor and take a picture of each one with my phon. (No need to thank me for this brilliant file sharing idea. by the way) :rofl:

rats, even more fun. put in the new drive, but need recovery disk/usb. guess what i don't have? if you guessed recovery disk/usb for 7 or 10, you guessed right....

If you were running windows 10, you should be able to download the media and create a disk/usb to install from: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

The update would have written the product key to your bios and should see it when it installs.

Would not load the software. Getting a replacement from the surplus here at work. Completely wiped, so I will have to load the system on it.

:thumb: Bummer it wouldn't load. I've had issues with some HP products not allowing re-installation due to the new drive not being an HP product, might be along the same issue.