new to sketchup

Paul Downes

I'm trying not to hate this program. I'm so used to AutoCAD and find it easy to use. Unfortunately my new computer will not run that.

First time using Sketchup and it crashed. Half the time the snap grips don't show. Been thinking it would be simpler to get a pencil and a few sheets of paper.

I'm trying not to hate this program. I'm so used to AutoCAD and find it easy to use. Unfortunately my new computer will not run that.

First time using Sketchup and it crashed. Half the time the snap grips don't show. Been thinking it would be simpler to get a pencil and a few sheets of paper.
Sounds like you may be having some video driver issues, might check to see if any updates are available from the computer manufacturer.

Whats the specs on the new computer?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Yeah, Crashing is one thing. That's got to be a hardware/driver issue of some sort.

There are a few learning curves with sketchup, but once you get started with it it's pretty intuitive.

Reminds of of back in the day I worked with a person who had a hard time figuring out how to use 'notepad' in windows.

All they had ever used were dumb terminal editors that you had to edit on line by line. They thought they had to erase and retype everything in order to correct mistakes. Just a total paradigm shift.

aside from the hardware problem. it sounds like you are trying to use sketchup as if it were A Cad I am former A Cad user and IMHO they ain't even similar so open your mind cause I think once you get the hang of sketchup you will do well. Forget snaping to a grid etc.. I think of sketch as a modeling program rather than a drawing program. i bet given a little time you will love it.

Paul, the behavior you describe is typical of a a GPU that doesn't support OpenGL as well as it should. What kind of graphics card do you have and what operating system?

Try this. Open SketchUp and immediately go to Preferences>OpenGL and untick the box for Use Hardware Acceleration. Preferences will be found in the Window menu on Windows machines and under the SketchUp menu to the left of File on Mac. After disabling Hardware Acceleration, quit SketchUp and reopen it. See if the behavior changes. Then we'll go from there.