What did you do today?

Roger Tulk

I had my right middle toe amputated. I've known for 50 years that this could happen, and now it has. I went in with the same feeling in my stomach that I had when Mrs. Hamry sent me to the principal's office to be strapped in grade 4. However, it was all so matter-of-fact that I didn't feel afraid, or feel anything while the ten minute procedure was happening. When I saw the doctor put my toe in a jar, I said, "Wait! Wait! I've changed my mind."

He said, "Ya want me to put it back on? Too late." And we all had a chuckle. I walked out of the clinic 20 minutes after I came in. I haven't had any pain, so far, and considering the reduced feeling in my feet due to diabetic neuropathy, I may not have much pain. I walked out of the clinic unassisted. The doc says I can move about a bit after today, and by Monday I should be able to walk distances up to a kilometre.

I feel oddly calm. I think I'm OK with this, and there's nothing I can do to change it. I hope this will be the end of this particular problem, but I still have nine toes, on two feet, and two legs.

OK so far.

Thank you, but just think of the trouble I'm going to have with "This little piggie went to market."

Well, it looks like that little piggie no longer gets roast beef. My guess is that it went vegan. But on the bright side, now little piggie #4 gets to have something to eat. :D

Glad to see the pain has been minimal so far, and I'm hoping for a speedy healing process with no further complications. :thumb:

Here's a somewhat alternative strategy to provide a bit of levity to the proceedings.

Heal up well Roger :thumb:

I have one of those toes like Tex's toe... so far I've grown 4 toenails on my left big toe....
1. Original one that came out of the womb
2. Mashed my toe with a treadle sewing machine, lost the toe nail at age 10
3. Dropped a down hole gun on it in 1986, crushed the bone up to the first joint, lost the toe nail - age 45
4. Slipped off the hill behind my house, foot slid under the lawn mower and sheered the toe nail off - age 71.

But I've decided to just keep the toe... it's a little stiff, but still works.

Roger, keep up the good attitude and heal well.

Roger, it is good to hear that all is going so well for you on this. I know you did have some apprehension going in and totally understandable. But, sounds like you are on the road to a speedy recovery and I wish you well.

I have one of those toes like Tex's toe... so far I've grown 4 toenails on my left big toe....
1. Original one that came out of the womb
2. Mashed my toe with a treadle sewing machine, lost the toe nail at age 10
3. Dropped a down hole gun on it in 1986, crushed the bone up to the first joint, lost the toe nail - age 45
4. Slipped off the hill behind my house, foot slid under the lawn mower and sheered the toe nail off - age 71.

I have several of those toes (big toes). Some from hiking downhill in too loose of boots and some from wearing too tight of shoes I hadn't worn in a couple of years until I realized why, they were too tight (in fact two growing in back now) :doh:. I'll probably try them again in a few years. Surely feet shrink as we get older like we do in general height :rofl: A broken toe from my teens to throw into the mix.

Seriously, Roger, you are taking this with a great attitude. That will go a long way. I hope all turns out well. I'm sure it will. Obey the doctor in the healing process. :wave:

Second day...

I didn't take any pain killers after I came home yesterday. I thought at first that the local anaesthetic was taking its own sweet time to wear off, but this morning I was feeling no pain (NO, I hadn't been drinking!) I had the dressing changed this morning, and the doctor is happy with the way things look. I have to continue resting the foot (minimal standing or walking for the next few days) and taking my antibiotics, and go for dressing changes frequently, but it isn't going to be a big deal, from the looks of things.

I checked today and found that my swimming pool entry card doesn't have an expiry date, so whenever this thing is healed, I can just go back to the water. I only got to use two of the twelve sessions on the card.

My kids all called to make sure I was OK, and to make jokes about me only being able to count to 19, etc., etc. How can I tell they are my kids?