end grain coasters mk2 project

Dan Noren

Staff member
i realized that i started the other end grain coasters without the benefit of a plan. so, i got organized, and precut all of the parts, and worked out how they would stack up from there. i figured that i could get 20 sets of 3/8" coasters between the 2 of them.

Attachments

• 001 blank patterns set up.jpg
    001 blank patterns set up.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 70
getting a start on the glue up of the 2 balonies tonight. hope to get them done in the morning.

Attachments

• 002 baloney 1 under construction.jpg
    002 baloney 1 under construction.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 003 baloney 1 done baloney 2 under construction.jpg
    003 baloney 1 done baloney 2 under construction.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 43
so far so good! the only part that was planned was the cutting of the parts, squares, rectangles, odd maple parts (nifty that they came out at 3/8" thick after making other cuts). then it was set it up by guess and by golly, and then the glue up. today i clean up, and slice these balonies.

getting close to the end of this one. brought the blanks over to the shop, and cleaned up the sides and the end to be cut. i managed to get 16 sets of 4 from both blanks. now all that is left is the sanding and oiling.

Attachments

• 006 16 sets done.jpg
    006 16 sets done.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 005 ends cleaned up.jpg
    005 ends cleaned up.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 004 balonies ready for cutting.jpg
    004 balonies ready for cutting.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 38
Good thing you have a lot of projects in the pipe line. Don't want you to be idle and take break. Love those coasters. May try some from along scraps. See about round ones, or staggered edges. Just thinking.
David

finished up the sanding, and sorted out the ones i wasn't too happy with (gaps and such). then hit them with the oil. now all that is needed are ribbons after they've dried up a bit.

Attachments

• 008 sanded and bad ones sorted out.jpg
    008 sanded and bad ones sorted out.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 009 all oiled.jpg
    009 all oiled.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 22