Atlas Joiner

Don Baer

Staff member
It's been a while since I posted with moving into a new house, changing jobs and setting up a new shop. I have lurked a little but my internet time has been limited. With all of the expensisof the new house I have put off buying a big joiner. I want at least an 8" when I buy one so I decided to wait until I can offerd what I want. I had this little jewel in storage. It's an Atlas Press 4" joiner. It needed a base and it didn't have a motor. I didn't know it condition of this little guy but I figured that it might be worth giving it a second chance at life. I also didn't want to put a lot of money into it.

I cleaned off the surface rust and built a stand for it from some OSB and 2 x 4's I had laying around. Not knowing how it was going to work I decided to go cheap on the motor. I had a spare 1/2 HP bench grinder laying around so I decided to use it with the intention of replacing it with something larger if the joiner worked out. I picked up a couple of pulleys and belt from the local True Value Store.

DSCN0620.JPGDSCN0621.JPG

DSCN0622.JPGDSCN0623.JPG

It works great, I used it to edge joint some 1" thick White Oak for a small table I am building and the joints came out perfect. I also tride to face joint a few pieces and had great results. I guess this will get buy until I can get a bigger one.

Last edited:
bout time

the possey was definatly gettin hitched up don,, if a new house and new shop is that hard on fellar i am glad it aint me dealin with it.. welcome back i had 6 inch atlas for long time it was very dependable don.. and those are built solid as rock and you can get parts to interchanged for them as well such as bearings and such.. go getur don.:wave:

Those are great little jointers.
I had one waaaaaay back there.

Hi Don.
Lookin great Don.
If the Atlas 4" Jointer looks like Sherman Tank :) than if they make an 8" it should look like an Abrams tank.:D

The $64000 question is did Atlas make a 8" Jointer?

boy bart ,i havnt seen one and have the old company headqtrs not far away from me,, but that doesnt mean they didnt:dunno: :dunno:

Don, I'm glad you were able to rescue that old Atlas jointer and are putting it to good use. We inherited two Atlas machines from my FIL that he had bought back in the early 50s--paid about $75 total for a lathe and a bandsaw. Both are still in our shop, both are still in regular use, and both run like Swiss watches. You just can't kill those old Atlas machines!!

Nancy

Glad to see you back Don, also understand about the new house, new job, and new shop!:thumb:

Nice little jointer, I have an old 10" model, and I use near the max capacity more than I thought I would.

Get at least an 8" unit.

Again, good to see you!:D

The key words are "It works!" :thumb:
Good Show Don

Great to see you back. I'm new and even I missed you. :wave:

DT