Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guess I Have Some Weirdos Near Me

Guess I Have Some Weirdos Near Me

Just seems kinda weird to me to already start popping off fireworks on June 25th. Heard some last night just as I was heading for bed. Seems to me they could have waited until at least July 1st. Doesn't it? Guess maybe I'm just too much of a stick in the mud. Curmudgeon deluxe, that's me! Oh, well. Guess them thar critters down the road are gonna do what they are gonna do, whether it makes any sense or not.

The tents have been opening up around us, so hearing them more often than usual. We have stores open year round within 10 minutes of here, so usually hear them going off after sporting events and also have a boys home down the road that they shoot them off at the end of a weekend of camping for those attending.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word boo. Robert Brault

Yeah, they're already starting up here in town, too, despite the fact that anything louder than a cap gun or anything that goes higher than 6 feet off the ground is outlawed.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Since my neighbor down the road was shot and killed and his house burned down, haven't had any fireworks in the neighbor hood for 3 or 4 years.... but they've put a new house on his foundation and the family has younger kids, so we'll see..... rest of my neighbors are all in my age range so they don't do much noise making.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Yeah, they're already starting up here in town, too, despite the fact that anything louder than a cap gun or anything that goes higher than 6 feet off the ground is outlawed.
    Man, things have changed in NM. When I was a little kid living in Demming NM there was a small store across the street from the elementary school that sold fireworks and candy. We bought mostly bottle rockets and would shoot them off all year. That was in the 50's, guess some change is good.

As I remember, I was taught you celebrated the 4th of July and New Years with fireworks, as the weather permitted. After all, only an idiot would be trying to do fireworks in a rain storm or something. But, that also depended on how dry things were. If you hadn't had any rain for a while, things were real dry and fireworks not properly controlled were a real fire hazard. Except for an area due west of me where a housing development went in, I live in an area of pasture lands. Folks who have cattle and the pastures are real dry are not fond of fireworks. The only fireworks that go off around this area are from that housing area. No where else. I personally don't like the things for several reasons. I feed a lot of wildlife because I like my critters and the noise scares them. The danged things unnerve my dog Rosco. And, I've been shot twice and sorta blown up. I say sorta because it didn't get me all the way. To say the least I don't go to any fireworks shows. If someone wants to blow off some fireworks, it's a free country and let them have their fun. But, jeez. At least do it a bit closer to the actual holiday.

fireworks are illegal in NYC and Nassau county where I live.
    You wouldn't know it. They started shooting off stuff a week ago, and on july 4th, its nearly impossible to go down any street without all the people set up in the middle of the street shooting off fireworks.
    I don't think cops go after anyone unless a neighbor complains.
    Too many trees in front of my house, so they cant shoot them off here, but the next block, we see a show every year.
    Human Test Dummy

Maybe they're getting a head start on Canada Day (July 1). Still a bit early.

We spent last New Year's Eve at a house party up the side of the Palolo Valley, Honolulu. They're illegal there too, but the backyard fireworks up and down the valley were spectacular and went on for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Since my neighbor down the road was shot and killed and his house burned down, haven't had any fireworks in the neighbor hood for 3 or 4 years.
    Wow, he sure had a bad day

The only fireworks you can't buy legally in NH are firecrackers and bottle rockets. You can buy anything else that goes whoosh then bang.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Wow, he sure had a bad day

The only fireworks you can't buy legally in NH are firecrackers and bottle rockets. You can buy anything else that goes whoosh then bang.
    Actually the two events were about 9 months apart... after he was killed and his wife left town, the house was taken over by the bank and rented out, but I think the tenants were evicted (or they may have been squatters and evicted), but a week after they moved out the house burned to the ground... When the wife left town, she also left his dog behind... the dog moved in with us... a big black pit bull that looked almost more like a pig then a dog..... but he loved my wife.... when she would walk out of the house he couldn't wiggle any harder.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.