At Last it's a Table

william watts

This is a project i started over a year ago, but twin beds got in the way. Except for the curly maple its made from wood left over from other projects, so the legs are mahogany and the side panels are luan. I stained the panels to match the legs. The finish is padded on shellac for everything except the curly maple, and thats General Finshes gloss oil based urethane brushed on. I did have a problem with the urethane in that it would not brush without leaving bush marks. I have done this before and use a good brush without problems, but after sanding off 4 times, I thinned the finish and all went well. The finish was rubbed down to between gloss and semi gloss using Merka abrasives and a light touch on the rubber sanding block. I received help from family members here on the use of these Merka abrasives they worked really well, thank you :wave::wave: very much. Photos are not may best talent, but heres 3. Have different drawer pull on order.

20160626_155625.jpg 20160624_164917-1.jpg 20160624_164730.jpg

Last edited:
That's a sweet looking bedroom set, William. Great job and it only took a year.:thumb::thumb: When you've been working on something for several years we will consider you for induction in our procrastinators club. Right now membership is closed because there's no more room in the club house:rofl::rofl:

thankyou for posting your beautiful work
Im fond of mixing contrasting woods and do it often.
the beds and nightstand are some high end workmanship.
again, thankyou for taking the time to post your work.

Thanks for all the nice comments it's a real lift to hear them, so thank you. Ryan, the drawers ride on the web frame and were built a little wider than necessary and then planed to fit. I was trying hand tool skills, surprisingly the drawers ride well and align when closed. I have decided the smoother slide with zero wobble and soft close available with factory slides is better, and will use them next time.

To avoid dust settling into the finish I took over an unused bedroom for that job. That finally controlled the dust problem enough that very little dust settled into the finish and what did was easily removed during the rub out, Smoooth.

Bill

Thanks William.

I've been working on a vaguely similar project for a year or two (procrastinators unite) but haven't decided on the drawer design yet. I'm thinking of either doing basically what you did or just grooves in the drawer sides due to space considerations (its a much smaller profile drawer).

I do like the looks of the smooth sided drawers though, so there is some aesthetic benefit. I guess that's why undermount slides are available though :D

Thanks William.

I've been working on a vaguely similar project for a year or two (procrastinators unite) but haven't decided on the drawer design yet. I'm thinking of either doing basically what you did or just grooves in the drawer sides due to space considerations (its a much smaller profile drawer).

I do like the looks of the smooth sided drawers though, so there is some aesthetic benefit. I guess that's why undermount slides are available though :D

Ryan, I had the same debate with myself and decided that since the drawer sides on this table are 1/2 in. thick a grove would leave little material, and I felt the fitting would be more difficult. Then in the hardware store the other day I noticed a under mount center slide, one per drawer, that seemed perfect for small drawers. The display drawer operated very smoothly

Bill

Wow i missed this post, very nice table and finish Bill, well done.
Goes to show wood furniture need not be all dark. I really like Maple and you got some nice contrast there.