wonder if anybody will bite

Saw this listed on a local yard sale site. Sound like someone wanting their lot cleared for free. "you can obtain the wood for free" it's not free if you do all the work getting it down?:huh:

obtained new property and need it cleared or at least trees cut down. in return you may obtain the wood for free. lot is at a slight incline fully wooded with both hardwood and a few pine. lot size is 0.6 acres 150 ft deep x 173 ft wide. there is no danger of hitting any objects except the road. it is on a strait of way with parking on roadway big enough for truck and trailer. property is clearly marked with a spray painted sign that says "825". there is also survey markers around perimeter I also placed t post on property line. all I ask is try to leave about 30 foot deep of uncut timber along roadway and try to fall the trees on my property only. please be respectful of neighboring wooded lots and please pack out what trash you take onsite. I have had utilities found and all there is is a waterline in ditch line 5 ft off road tracing along roadway. thanks and happy wood gathering. please call, text, or email with any question. if you prefer I may also meet you at the property to show it to you.

ANY PERSON ACCESSING PROPERTY ASSUMES ALL RISK OF INJURY. OWNER IS NOT RESPONSIBLE.

Around here it's usually a 100yr old oak or maple right between 2 houses...but hey the firewood is free. :doh:When it's a walnut next to the house they only ask you to pay $1000 because its full of "highly figured walnut for all your woodworking needs" :)

Let me start off by saying I'm not complaining, it's hers and she can do what she wants. I know a person who had a huge walnut taken down. The tree company left 2 10ft sections in the yard. Nice probably 35 inches or so. Heaven knows how many crazy crotches went to the dump! I approached her about sawing it. I knew right from the bat it wasn't going to happen she thinks she is sitting on a goldmine. I offered to go in halves with her on the lumber. It didn't happen. I drive by the place nearly everyday and they are still laying were they were left four years later. Oh well. I just hate to see all that good wood go to waste!

Let me start off by saying I'm not complaining, it's hers and she can do what she wants. I know a person who had a huge walnut taken down. The tree company left 2 10ft sections in the yard. Nice probably 35 inches or so. Heaven knows how many crazy crotches went to the dump! I approached her about sawing it. I knew right from the bat it wasn't going to happen she thinks she is sitting on a goldmine. I offered to go in halves with her on the lumber. It didn't happen. I drive by the place nearly everyday and they are still laying were they were left four years later. Oh well. I just hate to see all that good wood go to waste!

With a piece of rotted wood in hand you can go back to her and explain that getting that wood sold, means finding a small audience. It may never happen.

Go further to explain that you are the small audience and you know the value of the wood. Also explain that the value goes down as the wood sits there in the yard with the possibility of the value going to ZERO - then show her the rotted wood.

Explain that you - the small audience - is still interested - at least while there is still some value in the wood.

See where it goes from there.

Come back again in two years if need be.

Saw this listed on a local yard sale site. Sound like someone wanting their lot cleared for free. "you can obtain the wood for free" it's not free if you do all the work getting it down?:huh:

obtained new property and need it cleared or at least trees cut down. in return you may obtain the wood for free. lot is at a slight incline fully wooded with both hardwood and a few pine. lot size is 0.6 acres 150 ft deep x 173 ft wide. there is no danger of hitting any objects except the road. it is on a strait of way with parking on roadway big enough for truck and trailer. property is clearly marked with a spray painted sign that says "825". there is also survey markers around perimeter I also placed t post on property line. all I ask is try to leave about 30 foot deep of uncut timber along roadway and try to fall the trees on my property only. please be respectful of neighboring wooded lots and please pack out what trash you take onsite. I have had utilities found and all there is is a waterline in ditch line 5 ft off road tracing along roadway. thanks and happy wood gathering. please call, text, or email with any question. if you prefer I may also meet you at the property to show it to you.

ANY PERSON ACCESSING PROPERTY ASSUMES ALL RISK OF INJURY. OWNER IS NOT RESPONSIBLE.

Sure is a nice way to get a lot cleared and save a ton of money.

You can offer to clear the lot - keep the wood and only charge $8,000

Do they also want the stumps removed

Hopefully it was actually the land owner advertising it and not someone with a vendetta. There's no way I'd touch that with a thousand foot pole.

Their fishing, it's a "if you don't ask, it will never happen" attempt. Reads like they prefer arborist or sawmills to just show up and start cutting without any on site authority present. There's all kinds of perilous outcomes I see, and I no nothing about logging. What happens when two loggers show up and claim the same tree:eek:

Bill

I do a fair amount of logging to get the wood I use. I don't buy wood, only use wood that I harvested myself. That advertisement would send me running away. Just didn't strike me as a good thing. I go on all kinds of private property to take trees down, but it's by their invitation. I don't have to ever solicit. I am not bragging, but I can generally tell you where the tree is going to go when I cut it. But, every once in a while you have one that decides to go against all laws of physics and gravity and just does what it wants to. So, I always have everything clear of the tree falling radius. But, to say don't fell a tree in a certain direction makes me wonder, I guess. I don't know. I don't like to see wood go to waste anymore than the rest of us, but I'd have just steered clear of that.