Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turning blanks about 150 so far

turning blanks about 150 so far

over the weekend I cut a lot of blanks for pot calls. Got some beautiful wood grains from select cuts.
    I like this black cutting part of making calls probably the best. Just finding the particular right cut for the piece on the band saw, kind of like finding the right tones for a section of a painting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0428.jpg   IMG_0427.jpg   IMG_0429.jpg  
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Dave is there really this much of a market for these calls or are you just hooked on cranking them out at the moment?
    cheers

That's some pretty wood
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Rob a friend in SC in the heart of turkey capital turkey hunting is big. John is a state champion caller and told me mine calls are some of the best he's ever played. He said if i wanted to take my calls to the National Wild Turkey Federation convention to sell he would work the booth. He then said I would need 350-400 calls. The last call maker he took there sold out 250 calls on the 1st day and took orders for 2 days. So yea there is a market. I'm not pushing sales so I can stock up.
    Here are 4 cuts that represent what I'm going for out of the chunks I have.

Top line opens up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2976374.jpeg   2976375.jpeg   2976376.jpeg   2976377.jpeg   IMG_0430.jpg  

IMG_0431.jpg   IMG_0432.jpg   IMG_0433.jpg  
    Last edited by Dave Hawksford; 07-08-2016 at 01:09 PM.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

I took a couple dozen down for him to play this year during turkey season and he came up with 6 calls and said make all your calls like these. So we figured out what was the best turning , the best way to mount the sound boards: hard woods vs soft woods. How to adhere the sound board , proper placement and adhering the top playing board. So I'm into this.
    I do hope to get back to painting soon but this has my attention ri h t now.

Interesting seeing different niche business opportunities. I always find it really interesting to be able to talk to folks like your friend who can help explain what it is about certain pieces that make them work better.

You've sure managed to get ahold of some top quality burl chunks there! If nothing else those should show pretty well.
    Love thy neighbor, yet pull down not thy hedge.

Ryan thanks, showing well draws the customer in, the perfect tones seals the deal. I still need to stabilize each maple call.

With that much time in them I'm hoping they get a pretty penny!

I have no idea on the turkey calling tone part. Pretty interesting stuff from what little I've read about it, and seems to have a lot of subtlies. What's good and how to get there though is a mystery to me. I guess it's like most stuff like that, you gotta call a lot turkeys

Ryan if you ever get the chance to come out to Md and spend a few days I can educate you to plenty of thing I do.
    Last edited by Dave Hawksford; 07-08-2016 at 04:38 AM.

One of these days!

There's the Maryland wool and fiber show in West Friendship that loml had expressed interest in going someday that looks to be about an hour from you so we could do a double trip. Likely to be a couple of years before have the free time though... but when we're headed that way your can be assured I'll definitely look toy up!