Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splitting Firewood

Splitting Firewood

Tell me about how you go about splitting firewood.

I used to buy green cordwood. That is 4 feet long and round (not split). I used to cut and split 2-4 cords by hand per year. Oak, Hickory, Swamp Maple

I have a HF two handle manual splitter but that is just not gonna do the job. It's OK for a few logs if you are not in a hurry. I probably split a 1/2 cord TOTAL over 3-5 years - just here and there.

NOW - I have maybe 2 cords of stuff I need to split by way of yard work this year, plus my neighbor has about 10 cords that he is not going to use. I may buy it from him a couple of cords at a time. It's all tree length.

I was thinking about an electric splitter. No oil, no gas, pretty quiet. I don't need it to be really fast. Hmmm, maybe just get it done ain't so bad either

Sooo - anybody use an electric firewood splitter?

Nope. Seeing I just split it here and there year round, I use a 8lb. splitting maul. Gets what I need done, gives me some good exercise, my nephew some exercise and even my son who don't need any exercise. Everybody says he looks like Vin Diesel when he walks into a place.

Leo , i have not done it but spent a fair bit of time researching it at one point. Came to conclusion electric not the answer but i have been biased in favor of tractor being a core power plant and source for this kind of task. Its got the hydraulics to drive a ram or the pto can be used to drive another hydraulic pump of higher rate/volume.
    Tractor can then be used to move wood around without moving it off the pile and onto something else then off that carrier again when it comes to use.
    So my thoughts are given u on your homestead for years to come think of the whole process on a multi year basis and engineer the full process so your body takes least punishment.

Thats how i am trying to look at all sorts in this line.

Maybe its time the lawnmower got an upgrade or supplemented to some machine able to do more and be more versatile i.e. handle a small loader, or pair of forks for lifting a pallet of wood on the rear and moving it etc. Scrape driveway, mix concrete, even run a generator for emergency...list is almost endless.
    cheers

Actually Leo, if I was you in all honesty I would look at either buying a gas powered splitter or rent one. I know they have them down here with a Briggs and Stratton engine for around $1500.00. I'll only split maybe a cord and a half all year round. So, the splitting maul is good for me. And, like I said it's a good upper body workout which is not going to hurt me at all. I know guys that have the gas ones and love them. I have one guy I know that has one that runs off the hydraulics of his Bobcat. Anyway, gas or hydraulic is the way to go for that much wood.

Leo,

I have an older version of the DR Electric Log Splitter. I couldn't find something really comparable on their site. I usually split about a pickup load a year - oak and pecan mostly. If I get the wood green, it splits nicely. Pecan turns to rocks when it dries so it won't split at all after it's dry. Oak is a little better. If I was going to do as much as you are, I'd go with the suggestions above. Rent a gas powered one when you need it. This electric one at least won't handle that much wood.

Depending on the wood, I would either rent a splitter or split by hand. On straight grained wood a wedge and maul in good hands will out perform most consumer grade hydraulic splitters all day long.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FIREWOOD-5.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	96469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FIREWOOD.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	96470

One of my friends in upstate NY heats with wood and used to split all six cords by hand. It's a great work out. He now has a gas powered splitter that will operate either horizontally or vertically, so you don't have to lift the logs.

I don't split much a year at all...just enough to fill my rack in pic...but do it all by hand. My buddy has a gas splitter that he has offered to let me use, but I like to split wood. Good exercise and lets me pound out some aggression/stress too.

I'm guessing it would be less than $100 to rent one for a day...would be a long day but might be a good option.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20160515_124407.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

This is what I am considering

There is a 30% discount next wednesday if I use my amazon CC
    BTW - I earn points and I don't carry a balance.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014VGDWBW...I3H8KE9VYS0QEY

save your money on the electric. unless you can bring a 18 or 20 " chunk of oak to try it out with first.. soft maple splits like butter and thats what they showed you in the video.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

That's about 50% the size of the one I have. Mine will split a 20" log, or so they advertise. I'm with Larry, though, I'd take some pecan or oak to test it on.