Don't buy the Virutex Au-93 edge trimmer

Stuart Ablett

I got this a while back to help speed up doing edge tape on melamine finished panels, what a joke, and the joke is on me.

107.jpg

No instructions, nothing I can find on the net, this thing must have some set up, as I can see the blades are adjustable. I cannot see what the rear straight blade is suppose to do?

This pile of worthless plastic does nothing but destroy the melamine edge tape you put on the panels....

IMG_1527.JPG

I'm using only half of the unit as it is less likely to fail, if you you both sides the fail rate has been 100%

IMG_1528.JPG

Even using only half this is what happens about 50% of the time.

I have a bunch of edging to do on this cabinet I'm building, I bought two 10 meter long rolls of edging, I have gone through 5 meters and I've done less than 1 meter of edge, this is a losing game, what a waste of my time and money, don't buy this horrible tool.

IMG_1529.JPG

Really I can't express my anger with out seriously violating the CoC.

I went back to my old way of doing it, slower, but perfect every time.

IMG_1530.JPG

A very sharp fishtail chisel I have, top tip, rub some bees wax on both the top and bottom surfaces of the chisel, it slides easier and the glue does not build up on the chisel so much.

IMG_1531.JPG

If you can see the piece I shaved off of that 183cm (six foot) long edge, yes one continuous piece.

Cheers!

SOMETIMES - the old way IS the better way.

I can think of many ways where the old way is the better way.

BUT - then again - I can think of many ways the new way is better.

I can FEEL your angry.

I will not buy that product

I have used mine on wood banded edging and it has always worked great but I have never use it on laminate. Never thought is was sharp enough for plastic laminate and I can tell you it dulls real fast even on wood.

Also Ted the video you posted is only for a tool that will cut off the remaining banding on the end and it is really useless. It is easier to use a chisel.

Watch the entire video

Ditto. The trimmer does appear to work for the guy doing the demo but, that doesn't help us in the real world. There are many such gadgets that may work if used just right. I never could bet one of these to work worth a darn.

slick plane.jpg

Honed it, fettled it, failed with it 90% of the time.

I have been using one of those cutters for years, with pretty good success. The blades have to be very sharp, so if you are using years old blades, that is probably your problem - replacement blades are sometimes cheap, other times absurdly expensive, so I stock up. The first cutter, with the U-shaped blade, cuts the veneer back to very close to the edge. The second cutter does a bevel. Aligning the blades is tedious, so sometimes when I get one set working well, I just put a piece of tape on the other side to declare it out of service, until I have time to play with it.

I have been using one of those cutters for years, with pretty good success. The blades have to be very sharp, so if you are using years old blades, that is probably your problem - replacement blades are sometimes cheap, other times absurdly expensive, so I stock up. The first cutter, with the U-shaped blade, cuts the veneer back to very close to the edge. The second cutter does a bevel. Aligning the blades is tedious, so sometimes when I get one set working well, I just put a piece of tape on the other side to declare it out of service, until I have time to play with it.

The blades are brand new.
No instructions on adjustment to be found anywhere.