Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A token project...

A token project...

About 9 years ago a customer sent me an RSA token to use when logging into their network:

For some 1,700 workdays I struggled to position the token at a good viewing angle. If I stood it on edge I couldn't read the numbers at all. If I laid it flat on my desk -- same problem. For a while I was able to lean it up against one of my monitor stands, but it inevitably slipped and fell over.

Last year I received a new docking station from my employer. Taping the token to the front of it worked "OK"...

... but you gotta admit: kinda tacky, right? (No tape-related humor intended.)

Finally, after all these years, it occurred to me that I could MAKE something to solve the problem. (Duh!) This is what I created from a piece of scrap wood (alder?) ... using a Forstner bit in the drill press, the table saw, a router plane, and a bit of sandpaper glued around 3 sides of a square stick:

After seeing a picture of it, a coworker said they would love to have a similar holder for their (identical) token. So I found a chunk of pecan wood in my scrap bin and made 3 more holders:

The hardest part about the process is getting the bottom of the Forstner hole and the bottom of the groove to lie in the same plane.

So far I've tried 2 different "edge treatments":

If I make any more holders, I'll experiment with additional "looks".
    Old avatar: First Grade, 1968-69 Current avatar: Fifth Grade, 1972-73

And now you are in business! I'd run the dados first, drill the holes, saw the angled edges, round the corners, and slice to length for production purposes. You may have more 'customers.'

This is how businesses get started.

Good on you!
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    I'd run the dados first, drill the holes, saw the angled edges, round the corners, and slice to length for production purposes.
    Thanks Carol! It's been a while since I made these, but I believe I did just that with the 3 pecan pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    You may have more 'customers.'

This is how businesses get started.
    That's an interesting thought! I think I found a couple 3D printer patterns for related items, but in my opinion you can't beat a nice figured wood for something like this. On the other hand, with the effort needed for sanding, finishing, etc it might be hard to break even ... unless one were to charge "business" prices.

Also, I don't have a good feel for how many folks typically leave this type of token on their desks. You almost have to be a work-from-home type (like myself) for one of these to make sense. But those ranks are certainly growing!
    Old avatar: First Grade, 1968-69 Current avatar: Fifth Grade, 1972-73

Cool little holder design, Kerry. That pecan wood sure looks walnut-ish, though.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have no idea what the token is for but you sure came up with a neat idea !!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I carried one of those for many years, that would have been a handy accessory.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

That looks a bit better than where I keep mine...

You can also see my paper clip phone cradle in the background in this pic boy do I need to clean my keyboard out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160711_081008.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I used to have to use one of those gizmos. That's way better than my method of just leaving it laying around and hoping I could find it when I needed it!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

So what is that thing - what is it used for?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    So what is that thing - what is it used for?
    It produces a new login password every 30 or 60 seconds to remotely log onto a computer network. I work inside an insurance company, but actually work for a rental car company. I work on the insurance company's computer system, but need access to my company's network as well. Just another level of security...
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website