Dust Collector ?

Mike Turner

I have the 2 HP dust collector from Harbor Freight.I added the Wynn filter.I still have some fine dust in the shop...some around the dust collector.I know I should tape hose where it connects to the dust collector and to the other end too where it connects to the chute at my lathe.Im wondering if I should have just vented the dust to the outside..I might would have had less dust inside ?? I know it would have good to put the dust collector in it own little building or room but that isnt possible right now.Is there anything I can about the dust that may fall from the Wynn filter?

Did you get the 1 micron or .5 micron filter? What is making the dust and how are you connecting the DC? If you have the option to vent outside and it won't get cycled back into the shop, that is probably the best solution, but I've got the wynn filter on mine and haven't notice an issue, except maybe where I'm not collecting from the top of my TS blade. It's a bit worse when I'm cutting MDF, but that is to be expected.

Any chance the dust you're seeing is from operations that aren't captured by the DC? Even a world class system can't get everything. Maybe an ambient air cleaner would help. As for venting outside, to me that would be utopia. No filter cleaning or other problems, and the DC would likely move more air. But the heat/cool air loss keeps me from dong it.

I've had some trouble with where the Wynn meets up with the DC barrel. The hf collectors aren't exactly known for being precision instruments and mine at least had some warping there. I've mostly solved that part by putting another couple rounds of gasket on the bottom of the filter. Getting the filter to seat right with the provided turnbuckles was a bit fussy as well, so instead I tied four chunks of bicycle inner tube together with hooks on the ends and just stretch those over the top of the filter and hook them onto the DC body which allows it to kind of settle in place on its own terms. It also makes removing the filter to clean it out fairly trivial.

The one I have also had a bunch of smaller leaks here and there. Usually you can spot them by a small spray of dust coming out of a junction or screw hole. I've since liberally applied duct sealant (mastic from the HVAC section of your local big box) to most of the junctions and that slowed it down a lot. You want to vacuum and wipe up the dust good before applying the sealant so it sticks good and give it plenty of time to cure so you don't blow it back out (overnight works as long as it's not applied to thick so it's a good end of day task, look for leaks then seal them up).

The other points about the DC not collecting everything are pretty true as well. Some table saw and router operations just spray dust despite the collection, better guards with improved collection points would surely help some. A stronger DC would also definitely pull more in, for a couple of my machines the hf barely keeps up with chip collection nevermind the fines.

If you sweep up real good and wipe everything down you can get a pretty good idea where the dust is coming from by doing a bit of inspection after doing a quick run, that is generate enough dust to see what's going on, but not so much that it obscures the sources.

You shouldn't have to tape the house though, the hose clamps should be enough (at least in my experience..).

I've got the same one. Check around where the filter seats to the top of the unit (as Ryan mentioned) to make sure you don't have a leak there or around the bag below. I originally had mine strapped over the top with a couple of bungies, but had to double them up to get a good seal round the filter. I almost just cut some mdf to seal in that would give the filter a flat surface to seat against, but didn't have to after all with the extra bungies.

Myself and other members here have added the internal baffle to help with dust separation. I've been running mine this way for quite some time and it really keeps from needing to clean out the top filter as often... http://familywoodworking.org/forums...-Adding-a-Thien-Baffle-to-a-Harbor-Freight-DC