Whats your shop and tools mean to you.

You know I had the conversation with my Dad last night. They retired almost 20 years ago when they were in their mid 50's. Dad fell in love with trout fishing when I was in my teens and it has been his passion for many years now. He's gotten where it's hard for him to bend over just to get the fish out of the water. He's fallen 3 times this year on the banks where he fishes as they aren't the most even. He's had surgery a couple of times now on his shoulders and it's gotten where he just doesn't enjoy the sport as much. He's gone once in the last month and it was hard to hear him tell me that he thought he was done with it. But as many of you, he's adjusted and has other interests and will adapt to what life is throwing at him. One of my goals has been to get my shop setup where he can come and use it as well, heck, he's got quite a few tools in there that were his in the first place. ;) He and I also share an interest in shooting, so hoping to do more of that with him also, even if he can out shoot me with one arm behind his back.
Darren does your Dad tie his own flies or has he given it a try?

One of my projects on the "list" is to make a case something like Brent has made , but one that will open into a fly tying work place.
I am thinking ahead to what to do when mobility becomes an issue and both wood carving and fly tying besides other things are two of the ideas i want to have prepared for by then.

Only thing is, tying for the sake of it i am not sure of. Best fun is when one ties a fly and then uses it to catch something. Oldest son and i gave that a go many years back when i first got a basic tying kit from Bass pro on a business trip to USA before any thoughts of moving to Canada. He caught on his, i am still 0/0. Lol.

I'm afraid I was a bit too 'quippy' in my post (amps thread) regarding the selling of my tools. Just feeling a bit disappointed with the issues popping up and the unexpected assaults on the budget.

I could not really sell them, they are my friends. Anyone hiding in my shop would think i was crazy. I greet them when I come in, talk to them as I work, apologize to them if I have not been out to exercise them in a while, and say goodbye when I turn out the lights for the day. They are my companions and confidants. They sing the praises of my successes and hold close the secrets of my mistakes. When age overcomes one of them, or they break beyond repair I mourn their passing, then welcome joyfully their replacement to the family. 100 years old, or less than 100 days, they are all part of me and my life. They might someday be sold, but I will not be in a position to protest when that day comes.

I may not be able to build the shop of my dreams, but there will always be a shop.

any tool that has done its job with our hands is part of us, lay 2 hammers down on a table one new or used and the one you used yesterday. which one gets picked up for todays work?

any tool that has done its job with our hands is part of us, lay 2 hammers down on a table one new or used and the one you used yesterday. which one gets picked up for todays work?

I just replaced the handle on a framing hammer I bought new over 25yrs ago when I gave that trade a whirl. Thought of just getting a new hammer, but that hammer had smashed my fingers/thumb, driven thousands of nails and given 3 different people including me a need for stitches...2 my fault 1 self defense. Yeah kinda attached. :thumb:

I'm afraid I was a bit too 'quippy' in my post (amps thread) regarding the selling of my tools. Just feeling a bit disappointed with the issues popping up and the unexpected assaults on the budget.

I could not really sell them, they are my friends. Anyone hiding in my shop would think i was crazy. I greet them when I come in, talk to them as I work, apologize to them if I have not been out to exercise them in a while, and say goodbye when I turn out the lights for the day. They are my companions and confidants. They sing the praises of my successes and hold close the secrets of my mistakes. When age overcomes one of them, or they break beyond repair I mourn their passing, then welcome joyfully their replacement to the family. 100 years old, or less than 100 days, they are all part of me and my life. They might someday be sold, but I will not be in a position to protest when that day comes.

I may not be able to build the shop of my dreams, but there will always be a shop.

Well said Rennie. I think we all talk to them...your not crazy for doing it, but admitting to it on a public forum?? :eek: That's crazy!

Well said Rennie. I think we all talk to them...your not crazy for doing it, but admitting to it on a public forum?? :eek: That's crazy!

Talking to the tools is fine, it's when they start to talk back that you need to worry :crazy:

Last edited:
I've made no secret that my shop is my retreat, my stabilizer and my refuge. After 30+ years of dreaming in virtual networks and hexadecimal math I find the sanctuary in a hands-on world measured in imperial fractions. I return from business trips and simply go out and stand in the shop and suck up the vibe; this lets me know I am truly "home".

Interesting thread, as are the responses. I have had much opportunity to reflect on this issue over the past year or so. My shop was a refuge and therapist for me. Got me away from the TV and constantly nagging wife. The work was therapeutic. I really enjoyed figuring out how to make something or design a new turning. But, sadly, health issues have kept me from doing anything in there for about a year. Currently it is now one giant spider web. I miss my shop and hope to get back in there soon.

With a move expected in next 3-4 months I'll have to set up a new shop. Looking at new houses my wife "God Bless Her Soul" made sure to mention to realtors that I have to have a shop and she needed a pool. That's an even trade. I will have plenty to do at the new home. The time setting up and making new things for the house will be my salvation. Love puttering around the shop even when I'm not in the middle of a project. Wife says I am not as angry and take things in stride after working in the shop. It's the mistakes in the shop that make me that way. After all it is only a piece of wood cut the wrong way, get out another piece and try again. Life in general is not that easy, some times there is not a second chance.