helllllllp!!!!

Dan Noren

Staff member
tonight the steel rod that sets up the clamping of the rip fence of my porter cable 8312 table saw snapped for the third time. i've been looking all over the place for a replacement rip fence, but with no luck. any ideas out there? trust me, when that thing shears like that, it does it with a bang.

Attachments

• broken fence part.jpg
    broken fence part.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 61
Not sure what your budget might be for a replacement, but I sure have been happy with the Incra fence I put on my Ridgid TS.

You say 3-rd time?

There is a problem.

Are you maybe over tightening?

I wonder about the mechanical design. I sure would like to take it all apart and maybe redesign it with better materials. It is probably cold rolled steel. Some stronger steel is most likely a good choice as well as a larger diameter rod.

I would contact Porter Cable engineering and explain the problem to them.

Are you sure about the model number. I can't find anything on a PC 8312(?). I would like to see the saw so that I might recommend a solution.

sorry, kind of cross eyed when i tapped that one in glenn. it is really a 3812. i've had it for about 12-14 years now, and still runs good. i just want to replace the fence. this is the saw, didn't get the stand though.

Attachments

• my saw.jpg
    my saw.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 21
that's why i figured that replacement of the whole thing would be best, as almost all parts are obsolete. last time i picked one up (about 3-4 years ago) he said he had 2 more left, and wouldn't be getting any more.

If the fence works, then I like Leo's approach. Take it apart and replace the rod with something more sturdy. Any metal fabricator/machine shop should be able to pop one of those out in less than an hour @ $60/hour.

Might see what Carol is up to with her fence build, but maybe an older biesmeyer type fence mounted to the front side only as part of a cabinet that the saw is mounted to would be a better solution.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

If the fence works, then I like Leo's approach. Take it apart and replace the rod with something more sturdy. Any metal fabricator/machine shop should be able to pop one of those out in less than an hour @ $60/hour.

It's just a straight rod with a flattened area and a hole on one end, and threads on the other, isn't it?

A little hammer work on a 1/4 or 5/16" rod, and a threading die would be all it'd take to make one yourself. Maybe heat the hammered end with a propane torch to make it easier to flatten. Half an hour's "blacksmithing" and you're done.

we got the broken part out of the coupling. got bit again, turns out to be metric. 6mm threaded rod ought to work ok.

:thumb: In seeing what the saw model is, I suspect the Incra setup would be overkill. I agree with the other suggestions to just fabricate a new rod. And also check to see that you're not overtightening the fence when you lock it down.

I would try to stay away from threaded rod.

I would get a length of straight rod from McMaster and thread it.

6mm is .236 where 1/4 is .250. I agree with rethreading

I would go for a piece of AISI-A2 1/4 diameter 36" long McMaster 888k361 for $8.21

Get a 1/4-20 die and handle - do the blacksmithing. Make a new piece

AISI-A2 is a bit more difficult to thread, but it IS doable - use TAP magic tapping fluid, and be patient.
You will never need to replace it again.

we back in biddness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for under $5 ($3.80 for the 6mm rod, and $1.05 for the hex nut, and lock nut) we're back in business again! now just have to cut to length, clean up the cut end, and re-assemble the fence.