Thread: 13" Cherry Bowl

13" Cherry Bowl

I pushed the limits of my lathe yesterday afternoon with this one. The blank was a bit lopsided and BIG so I did some cuts on my little 10" bandsaw so it would fit and be pretty well balanced. Had hoped for a bit deeper bowl, but ended up with one about 13" in diameter and 4" deep. This will be going to a good friend who gave me a $50 gift card to Woodcraft out of the blue a few months ago. He said he got it in a Xmas gift exchange at work and had no use for it. I used it to get set up to turn pens, but have yet to turn one. He'll get a pen or two later as well.

Anyway, it was a good although hot and humid afternoon in the shop yesterday. I turned it to final shape and hope it only warps a bit and doesn't crack...the cherry was cut about 6 months ago but was pretty dry when I turned it. All the other blanks from this log checked to much to use as a big bowl so those will be coming soon...just smaller in size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160717_163737.jpg   20160717_175120.jpg   20160717_202250.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Very nice bowl, Jeff, but I'm a little disappointed. I saw the thread title and was hoping to see what a 13" cherry looks like and what sort of bowl you'd put one in.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Very nice bowl, Jeff, but I'm a little disappointed. I saw the thread title and was hoping to see what a 13" cherry looks like and what sort of bowl you'd put one in.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Hilarious! But nice job! That's a pretty nice sized chunk-o-cherry!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Lovely!

Nice looking bowl Jeff.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I can see where you said it was a tad bit out of balance. That first pic looks a bit interesting. But you certainly ended up with a very nice bowl. I like it a lot.

Thanks guys!
    My Website

That's a gorgeous bowl, Jeff. I"m hoping to get back to bowls a little later this summer. I've a lot of spindle turning to do at present. I love working with cherry on the lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    They're a little squishy and hard to keep in shape. What you need is a 13" cherry pit.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln