Shiplap in kitchen?

Tom Baugues

I blame all those diy tv shows. My wife would like me to put up shiplap siding as an accent wall in our kitchen. Has anyone here used shiplap siding or have any tips for using it? I've read that several different materials can be used. Actual shiplap planks or even plain thin plywood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I blame all those diy tv shows. My wife would like me to put up shiplap siding as an accent wall in our kitchen. Has anyone here used shiplap siding or have any tips for using it? I've read that several different materials can be used. Actual shiplap planks or even plain thin plywood.

I wouldn't use it in a kitchen. Over time, cooking grease, etc., will collect in the gaps, and be very hard to remove. Unless you're an absolute 'clean freak' fanatic, you'll never keep it totally clean.

Shiplap is (to me anyway) just a simple board, 6" & 8" seem to be the most common around here, with a 1/2" or so rabbet along both edges, on opposite sides.

I agree with Jim. It's attractive but would be a cleaning nightmare in a kitchen.

Last edited:
My cousin did that at his house, which turned out pretty good using 1/4 inch plywood, caulked and painted. Used a gloss paint, so it's easy to clean, but had to spend some time on the sanding and fill to not show the imperfections

Edit: It was 1/4" ply not 1/2", but I'm sure either would look great.

Last edited:
My cousin did that at his house, which turned out pretty good using 1/4 inch plywood, caulked and painted. Used a gloss paint, so it's easy to clean, but had to spend some time on the sanding and fill to not show the imperfections

Edit: It was 1/4" ply not 1/2", but I'm sure either would look great.

This is what my wife has been telling me about. 1/4" plywood. I suppose if I can seal the wood well enough so the paint won't just soak in. I'm going to look into this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It doesn't appear to be what I know as Shiplap. Ted shows much closer to what I see as Shiplap.

Where does she want to use it? I wouldn't use it behind a stove, for instance, but on an accent wall it should be fine.

I've done some research and it seems that many people who have done this have used 1/4" plywood sub flooring sheets. Ripped then to width, then placed onto the wall with space between each board. I've seen photos of this and it looks nice and is what my wife wants.
So my question is...how do I rip 4x8 sheets of plywood evenly into 4-6" wide strips keeping the edges straight. My table saw is not large enough to handle 4x8 sheets. I've seen 50" straight edge clamps that can be used along with a circular saw but that would not allow me to cut the plywood long wise. I suppose I might find a lumber yard with a panel saw that could do this for me.

I would probably call the overlapping boards lapstrake
http://www.danenbergboatworks.com/lapstrake.htm

Tom, I would go with the circular saw with a guide method. If you can swing one of the new track saw setups they're the bees knees but a lot of folks have used a chunk of angle iron quite happily for a long time. Its slow and a bit fussy but gets the job done. The big concern with either setup is tear out, so best face down, painters tape and hope for the best?