Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCR'S restrictions

CCR'S restrictions

Wife and I are getting older every day. Now we are talking about moving closer to family in West Sacramento Ca. That would only be about a 50 mile move. Their doesn't seem to be a lot of houses for sale in that area and the few for sale are in newer sub divisions. I've only lived in 3 houses in my life and they were all built before ccr's were invented. I am wondering If folks here, living with ccr's, find them very restrictive, especially for for garage style wood working? I feel their may be restrictions about the noise, dust, and whatever else comes up. I do not work after 5:00 PM or before 10:00 AM trying to avoid complaints, and never had any. It's strictly a hobby for me maybe 4-5 days a week with periods of inactivity between projects. I am trying scope this out before doing something I regret.

Step daughter-in- law lives in in West Sac. Wife wants to move there, but any area close by may be ok. It could be be an older neighborhood with no CCR's I like older better.

Bill

From ones I've lived in and know others that have, they are all different as far as how "Active" they are. I had my shop in my garage and never got complaints, nor was there any covenants that stated I couldn't do otherwise. There were city ordinances for noise and storage of stuff outside, but that was it.

The biggest complaints I heard about in ours was folks that had boats/trailers and left them on the street for more than a few days. Those that would bring them home from the lake and then leave them parked on the street until the next weekend. But at the same time the folks that complained had teens leaving their car parked on the streets overnight, which was also against the rules.

On the flip side, I've lived in one that had covenants, but no active HOA to enforce the rules, so no one abides by them. Doesn't mean that one neighbor couldn't sue another to enforce it, but with and HOA, the dues allow budgeting of legal help to make them more effective.

Then you have the ones that are like my friend that just had a new roof put on. They made him tear it off and go with another color as the one he picked wasn't an "approved" color.

Not trying to scare you, like I said, they are all different. I'd check online to see if they have an active HOA and see if they have bulletin boards or meeting notes to see what type of "activity" they are doing and types of things are being enforced. Can also check with the Recorder of deeds or realtor to see if they have a copy of the covenants you can gander at.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

The realtors in CA must give you a copy of the CCR's. It's required. However, as Darren said, they all differ in action from what is on the paper and it depends on who is doing the interpreting and enforcing. When you find a neighborhood you like, talk to at least 3 neighbors on your own about what really happens and who and how. Be upfront and honest about what you want to do. No house is nice enough to put up with bad neighbors. You have to go into this knowing there are no guarantees and nearly every neighborhood has them, old and new. Old is better because the neighborhood is usually settled and the status quo is the real deal regardless of what the paper says. But you do need to know what the paper say because horse's patooties come along each day to rain on someone's parade.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Quote Originally Posted by william watts View Post
    Wife and I are getting older every day. Now we are talking about moving closer to family in West Sacramento Ca. That would only be about a 50 mile move. Their doesn't seem to be a lot of houses for sale in that area and the few for sale are in newer sub divisions. I've only lived in 3 houses in my life and they were all built before ccr's were invented. I am wondering If folks here, living with ccr's, find them very restrictive, especially for for garage style wood working? I feel their may be restrictions about the noise, dust, and whatever else comes up. I do not work after 5:00 PM or before 10:00 AM trying to avoid complaints, and never had any. It's strictly a hobby for me maybe 4-5 days a week with periods of inactivity between projects. I am trying scope this out before doing something I regret.

Step daughter-in- law lives in in West Sac. Wife wants to move there, but any area close by may be ok. It could be be an older neighborhood with no CCR's I like older better.

Bill
    You said it doesn't have to be West Sac - i'd look into Pocket or the Tahoe Park area, Land park, Elmhurst or even some parts of Oak Park -- that's all basically along Broadway. I live in Tahoe Park and quite like the area. There's also Tahoe Terrace as well - on the north side of broadway that's pretty secluded and low traffic, close to everything.

Personally, I won't live in an area 'governed' by such a thing. There are plenty of areas that don't have them.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Just the idea of living somewhere that has restrictions like that is giving me a headache. That is a big part of why I choose to live in the woods in a rural part of the Arkansas Ozarks. I can let the dogs run, take a whiz or go shooting without being concerned about a complaint from neighbors.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I lived in a small community next to Asbury Park and was asked to leave after 6 months. You couldn't operate a car in the town on Sunday , you were not allowed to have beer in the fridge on Sunday no music , these are the extremes. As Carol said your realtor will get you the copy of the restrictions.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Never paid much attention to the CCR's in most of the neighborhoods I've lived in, but like Frank, my preference is living in the sticks where the dogs can run free, I don't but could shoot if I wanted, my shop sits behind the house, but in plain view of the road and the neighbors and has wood piled all around it, no complaints and more often than not, the neighbors will drop off wood....

I did live in two different neighborhoods in Texas, around Houston that had pretty active HOA's... I inherited my stepfather's old '71 Chevy pick up that sat in my driveway for a few weeks when the battery was dead... got a letter about "abandoned" vehicles... so I put a new battery in it, and moved it to the other side of the drive, then about once a week would move it from one side to the other... I wasn't using it as I had a company car and with the hours I worked, didn't need it... no problems after I started moving it.

And in another neighborhood I lived in across the lake, I had a few yards of dirt delivered and dumped in the driveway up by the house and in front of the garage (which actually sat behind the house, but slightly off to the side).... to see up my drive way, which curved from the street, you had to park right at the end of the drive way and look between two huge evergreens that almost blocked the driveway...just enough space to pull through.... the dirt was dumped on Thursday, I started Saturday morning hauling it by wheelbarrow to fill the flower beds I was building around the house and worked all weekend on the pile of dirt.. by the Sunday night about 2/3 had been hauled around the yard... Monday morning I got a letter telling me I had a pile of dirt in my driveway that needed to be moved.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

CCRs? HOA?
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    CCRs? HOA?
    Codes, Covenants & Restrictions

Home Owners' Association.

I owned and ran an HOA Management Company for about five years, and had to listen to all the whining and complaining, as well as write all the complaint enforcement letters. What a PITA! One of the happiest days of my life was when I sold that company!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Codes, Covenants & Restrictions

Home Owners' Association.

I owned and ran an HOA Management Company for about five years, and had to listen to all the whining and complaining, as well as write all the complaint enforcement letters. What a PITA! One of the happiest days of my life was when I sold that company!
    Sounds like stuff my sone has in his townhouse development. I don't know what he calls them. I live in a detached home in a suburb. Only the Zoning Clerk can tell me what to do, and he's my nephew.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln