picture frames project

Dan Noren

Staff member
well, the time was nigh to start getting rid of some of the small scrap (and make some money too hopefully). there is a type of picture frame that i made a few years back, and i decided to make another 12 for the upcoming craft shows. today i got the parts for the uprights cut to size, and the blanks for the frames themselves cut and planed. then i decided that it was too darned hot for anything else. i'll probably finish up the other parts tomorrow.

Attachments

• 001 uprights cut to size.jpg
    001 uprights cut to size.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 51
  • 002 frame parts cut to width and planed.jpg
    002 frame parts cut to width and planed.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 55
got a bit more done with the frames today. got all of the tops, bottoms, and sided cut to length. after that, cut all of the notches, and tenons. tomorrow, it will be the cutting of the feet, and the base rails.

Attachments

• 008 test assembly of frame.jpg
    008 test assembly of frame.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 007 tenons finished.jpg
    007 tenons finished.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 006 shoulders cut.jpg
    006 shoulders cut.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 005 notches cut.jpg
    005 notches cut.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 004 frame tops and bottoms cut.jpg
    004 frame tops and bottoms cut.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 003 frame sides cut.jpg
    003 frame sides cut.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 30
got a bit more done today. cut and planed the blanks for the base rails and feet. then cut all the base rails and feet. all that is left for them, is to cut the notch in the feet for the base rail tenons, then cut the top corners of the feet at a 45 degree angle.

Attachments

• 013 base rail and feet blanks.jpg
    013 base rail and feet blanks.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 014 base rails and feet cut.jpg
    014 base rails and feet cut.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 28
cut the notches in the feet today, and i hope to get the tenons on the rails done today too. next will be the fun part of cutting the angles on the feet.

Attachments

• 015 notches cut in feet with jig.jpg
    015 notches cut in feet with jig.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 26
got the tenons cut for the base rails, and did a test fitting. rerigged the jig for cutting the angles on the feet, and cut those too.

Attachments

• 016 base rail tenons cut.jpg
    016 base rail tenons cut.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 017 base example.jpg
    017 base example.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 018 jig for cutting angles on feet.jpg
    018 jig for cutting angles on feet.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 019 all feet angles cut.jpg
    019 all feet angles cut.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 30
last thing i did today, was a quick setup of one of the frames. still have to knock off the extra from the rails, cut mortises and tenons, and chamfer the tops of the uprights. drilling the holes for the hinge pins (nails), and for the backing. turning out pretty good so far.

Attachments

• 020 test setup.jpg
    020 test setup.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 37
since i was on reports last night at work (monday's are light days, especially for reports), with about 4-5 hours of time to kill after everything was printed, worked on the frames. got the feet sorted out by looks (nice when your feet look alike), and glued them to the base cross members. then it was sort out the frame stiles into similar pairs, then sort out the rails to similar pairs, then match the rails and stiles. after all that fun, glued them up too. all that is left now, is to drill the holes for the pivot pins, finish the uprights, mortise the bases for the uprights, and all the other steps to get them finished.

got a bit more done today. sanded the frames flush, cut the mortises in the bases, cut the tenons on the uprights, and cut the chamfers on the uprights. tomorrow, it will be cleaning up the other mortises, drilling the pivot pin holes in the frames and uprights, routing the rabbets in the backs of the frames, and making the backs.

Attachments

• 021 sanded flush.jpg
    021 sanded flush.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 022 bases mortised.jpg
    022 bases mortised.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 023 uprights tenons cut.jpg
    023 uprights tenons cut.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 17
  • 024 uprights tops chamfered.jpg
    024 uprights tops chamfered.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 025 uprights in base.jpg
    025 uprights in base.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 026 test setup of frame in uprights.jpg
    026 test setup of frame in uprights.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 21
its all over the place dave. routed the backs of the frames for the rabbets for the backs and glass. that shot dust and shavings all over the place. then cut the parts for the backs, and planed them to the 1/8 inch finished thickness. after that, drilled the holes in the frames and uprights for the pivot pins. i've already dyed the bases, so, a good step towards finishing this one.

Attachments

• 029 frame backs planed to thickness.jpg
    029 frame backs planed to thickness.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 028 frame backs cut.jpg
    028 frame backs cut.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 12
  • 027 frame rabbets routed.jpg
    027 frame rabbets routed.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 17
with all of the parts dyed, it was then on to the coat of seal coat. tomorrow it will be the coat of clear shellac.

Attachments

• 030 parts dyed and seal coated 1.JPG
    030 parts dyed and seal coated 1.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 031 parts dyed and seal coated 2.JPG
    031 parts dyed and seal coated 2.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 12
got everything waxed, and started fitting of uprights to the bases. put one together, to check the assembly, and found that i need to shorten the pivot pins just a touch.

Attachments

• 033 uprights fitted to bases.JPG
    033 uprights fitted to bases.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 034 first finished front.JPG
    034 first finished front.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 035 first finished back.JPG
    035 first finished back.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 12