Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

Time to start the “Shop Build” thread! I want to be in by winter so I’ll have to get a move on. I’m new to Michigan, but I heard winters come early and hard here.

The shop build will begin on two fronts: The conversion of the garage and the addition of a storage shed to hold all the ‘non-shop’ stuff. In reality it will also be a temporary home to much of the smaller shop items that are currently in the garage to make it easier to get things like wiring, painting, and floor prep done.

The shed will be a 12 x 16 structure placed on piers about 30' from the garage. It will be sided to match the house with a steel roof. As it is under 200 sf it will not require a building permit, but it will require zoning approval. I’m working through the 10-page application now. Plans are straight forward wood frame construction. There will be a loft for storage of some folding lawn furniture, etc. Once the shop is complete and everything is moved in I want to put some storage space along one wall of the shed for lumber. I’m hoping this will free up some space in the shop.

FWW Shop layout.skp

I finally worked out a plan with the electrician that will essentially upgrade the current 30-amp service to the garage to 60 amps. Based on feedback here and input from the electrician that should satisfy my needs. It also chops his initial estimate to about half. The upgraded service will cost about $1,400. More than I had hoped but close enough.

I am at a bit of a loss on how to configure my space. I would like to place a small office in the front corner. This is actually a bit of a necessity as there is no place in the house where I can set up my computer with the extra monitor and printer – it’s just too small.

In the “that might be a good idea” column are a few things that are really not necessities and I could do without. Among them are a half bath, finishing room, and closet for the DC and compressor.

I know that shop planning is considered by many of you to be a fun activity, so here’s your chance to have some fun! I am open to ideas and space use possibilities that might challenge my own. I’m attaching a few pictures and a Sketchup drawing of the raw space for your enjoyment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	96642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FWW Overvie.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	96643

A couple of notes – the small roll up door will go away and be replaced by a window. I will reuse that door in the new shed. The man door already exists. The ceiling is 8’3”. I’m replacing the top panel in the large roll up door with one that has windows. That door faces south so it will bring light into the shop year round.

Tools that need to be accommodated: 10” Cabinet saw with a 52” fence, 18” band saw, 16/32 Performax on roll around stand, 10” miter saw (non-sliding), New Yankee style router table, DeWallt 735 planer that shares a flip top stand with my mortiser, floor standing drill press, 10” disk/6” belt combo sander on a roll around stand, antique work bench approximately 28” deep and 76” wide, dust collector (not purchased yet, looking for a good deal), small compressor (Hitachi dual tank), Jet ceiling mount ambient air filter, Delta DJ20 jointer.

I would really like to be in the shop soon, but time and budget will dictate.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Ooops, should have added - the floor space is approximately 23'6" by 26'6"
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

I am gonna enjoy riding along on this one. So jealous.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

i know you have setback or property line issues rennie, but can you add on to the existing garage in any direction?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Nope. It is a non-conforming structure, built without zoning approval and building permits. Not allowed to alter the footprint in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    i know you have setback or property line issues rennie, but can you add on to the existing garage in any direction?

Hi Rennie. My shop is 28x28 which doubles as a garage. My table saw is on casters so it can be moved as well as my planer. I was able to get some cabinets from a job I was doing and put them in a L shape in the back corner. They work great, uppers and lowers with a nice counter top. A few things I wish I had done different, a closet of some sort either inside or just outside for my compressor and dc. They really make a lot of noise in here. My overhead doors have windows but they are up near the top of the doors. I cannot see outside when the doors are closed and it feels like im really boxed in. People come to the house and I dont even know there here. The best thing I did was add heat, lucky enough to have natural gas so I put in a ceiling mounted heater. A/C would be great but I was told that until we have central air in the house no a/c in the shop! Lighting is a big thing, can always use more. I do have a upstairs for storage, pull down stairs which helps keep a lot of the floor space open. Good luck with your build, looking forward to watching your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer Fancher View Post
    Hi Rennie. My shop is 28x28 which doubles as a garage. My table saw is on casters so it can be moved as well as my planer. I was able to get some cabinets from a job I was doing and put them in a L shape in the back corner. They work great, uppers and lowers with a nice counter top. A few things I wish I had done different, a closet of some sort either inside or just outside for my compressor and dc. They really make a lot of noise in here. My overhead doors have windows but they are up near the top of the doors. I cannot see outside when the doors are closed and it feels like im really boxed in. People come to the house and I dont even know there here. The best thing I did was add heat, lucky enough to have natural gas so I put in a ceiling mounted heater. A/C would be great but I was told that until we have central air in the house no a/c in the shop! Lighting is a big thing, can always use more. I do have a upstairs for storage, pull down stairs which helps keep a lot of the floor space open. Good luck with your build, looking forward to watching your progress.
    Thanks Sayer!

I'll need to check, but I think the windows in my door will be low enough to see people coming in. Lighting is a big thing for me too. I purchased 18 two lamp 48" fluorescent fixtures used before I moved here. Those, with a task light or two, should do the job.

Heat will be provided by a Modine ceiling mount gas furnace. Its one from their Hot Dawg line which are smaller versions of those used in warehouses, etc. I have yet to decide on cooling - last shop had a small window type mounted in the wall and it did quite well. Been watching for a split unit to come available, but no luck yet. The good news is I wont be in the shop soon enough this year to need it.

I just finished putting a drop down ladder in and decked the attic with 3/4" T&G OSB. I have about 280 sf of storage. The closet for the DC might be a must. Mine was in the shop last time and it was noisy!

It's good to see you getting started on you shop, Rennie! I'll be watching your progress.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I'd be tempted to make the computer setup more of a partially enclosed desk than a full office.

Thinking something like the "faux armoire" variety - something like this (people really pay that much for these sorts of things? )
    http://www.wayfair.com/Illusions-Arm....x-YB1356.html
    but there are other designs as well.

That would keep it fairly clean but also save a bunch of space.

Of course what you _really_ need now is another project like a hole in the head
    Love thy neighbor, yet pull down not thy hedge.

How about a small bump out like this on the back to house the DC, maybe a compressor, that doesn't affect the "foot print" at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC Addition 2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	96647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC Addition.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	96648
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault