Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

Wire you guys making all these puns? Must be a pretty highly-charged subject.

I threw away my Workmate when I moved to NM because the plastic spring clip things that keep the legs outstretched had broken on two of the legs, making it a bear to set up. Also, the MDF top had started to sag pretty badly. I replaced it with an older model Workmate (metal spring clips and plywood top) that has become my primary bench for little projects here until I get the shop set up.

The shop's looking good, Rennie. :thumb:

You mean you haven't trained that shop to set up yet. Why I have a dog that I didn't have to train to set up. She did it once & I told how cute she was. Bang she sets up anytime she thinks she can get me to take her somewhere. Even when she knows we won't be going just because she knows we will love her & tell her how cute she is.

Well, having suffered the slings and arrows of the never 90 crowd :eek:) I decided they were right and I pulled them all out and replaced them with pairs of 45's. unfortunately I miscounted and came up one short, something I will remedy tomorrow.

65b2990dd4560d8c43ef54ba4a5035b4.jpg

I'll be using a hanging system I discovered on YouTube. Real simple and rather sturdy. I can adapt this for various locations.

a4f16d173c795e3164ba165b4f7feab6.jpg

This is where the pipe exits the closet

670bfd9d4183a9e423e4c6c46a4c9122.jpg

Tomorrow I should finish the trunk and maybe even some of the drops.

Went as far as I could with the D.C. system today. Everything is run but nothing screwed or sealed. I'll run some sheet metal screws through all the joints someday down the road once I am comfortable with the layout. No glue of course, but maybe some aluminum tape or latex caulk if I discover it to be leaky.

I'm already considering making the drops along the wall a little shorter. The drop to the far right on the wall will be for the floor sweep. The other three on that wall, the one on the back wall, and the one in the middle of the ceiling I call my flexible drops. Not designated for any particular machine (as the drops for the jointer and TS). The one coming off the wye on the back wall will eventually run along the top of the back bench and connect to a hood at the chop saw.

I cleaned out the local Menards of 45 degree 6" fittings. Still need one more at the cyclone.

fab725858a5d15673acd011700275ec4.jpg

c7e4c9947251e7f60fc1931a283bec56.jpg

c2d4447e27230ef7c7c51b6970d5fd21.jpg

628a265f5bcc15f77d73f343ff650239.jpg

Last edited:
The ductwork is looking great, Rennie. :thumb: Seeing the pics is making me restless to get my shop going again. (Still wrestling with the money/space/time/physical ability equation on mine.)

Pipe colors don't match. The hipster crowd will be upset :thumb:

Who knows, they might like it for being "edgy". :D

I started putting down the floor today! This is a cheap floor and every piece in the box is the full 48" long and 8" wide, so it goes down very fast.

The 2x4 frames will support the lower cabinets and help bring them up to a better working height. More on that in a future post. Also, I've found it to be a lot easier to level these frames than individual cabinets. Once the frames are level you just place the cabinets on top and shim/secure them to the wall.

66a1b80ec7049ecfce5daa5d37bccf42.jpg

Flooring update

I can only spend so much time crawling around on my knees these days. I got quite a bit done in spite of my knees. I also leveled the platform for the cabinets and got them in place. Not attached to the wall yet but that will happen soon. There was a full inch drop in the floor from the center of the floor to the back corner.

This is really helping to make the space brighter and feel more open. I can also tell that is is way easier on my back. Hard to beat for a total (floor and underlayment) of 70 cents a square foot. Not much more than epoxy and a lot easier IMHO.

More flooring tomorrow as I head into the more difficult sections working into the closet and office.

8a89848bd212f27efdf2e407ee7ab535.jpg

ed465ed3db65827766663d12b542f071.jpg

Last edited:
Looking really good. I don't envy your knees and back, though. BTDT, when I did Mida's quilting studio (14 X 42). Could hardly stand up straight for several days afterward. Hot tub, inversion table, and chiropractor helped...

BTW, you're gonna need a new blade for your saw by the time you're done. The laminate flooring really eats blades - even carbide.

Looking really good. I don't envy your knees and back, though. BTDT, when I did Mida's quilting studio (14 X 42). Could hardly stand up straight for several days afterward. Hot tub, inversion table, and chiropractor helped...

BTW, you're gonna need a new blade for your saw by the time you're done. The laminate flooring really eats blades - even carbide.

I do have knee pads and they help a great deal. Also, Jan has been handing me the sections and doing some of the cutting. This saves me from getting up and down so often. Knew about the blade problem. There is a fellow just down the road that does sharpening. Might give him a try when all this is done.