Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

The extension table on my table saw was in rough shape and was not really worth moving across the country so it met its demise in Idaho. Now that the shop here is finally coming together I needed to replace it so I could make better use of the saw as I move towards some finishing touches.

I had a few scrap pieces of lyptus and poplar on the pile for the framework so all I needed was to pick up a half sheet of ACX and some laminate.

I chose 3/4" ply over the usual 1/2" thinking it would be stronger. It may well be but it also presented a challenge that I did not see till the final installation. There was not enough room under the top to attach the nuts on the bolts that hold the table to the rails. So, I had to do a little chisel work. Oh well.

I decided to build the frame first and set the plywood in later. Don't know why. But I knew any gaps would be covered by the laminate so I forged on.

Got it all together and glued on the laminate. After trimming the laminate I gave the edges a few passes with a block plane and got it installed. I will forever wonder why I chose a laminate that always looks dusty.

37de233884ae255ce62f8902c25337c6.jpg

c2261ada4785f7b85854a27a8bf74477.jpg

28840a92ca3ee96343a4413a8a257aef.jpg

3cc0f9dd7bda3ca99158c36cfc66165a.jpg

So, I'm not the only one that has a Workmate leftover from bygone days? It's great to tag along for all the things that go into getting setup. Making a space as much 'our own' as we can for our woodworking is part of the enjoyment. Watching someone else do the work can be even more enjoyable at times :D.

Moved a few wires and added lighting to the attic over the shop today. All ready for insulation! In removing the old light fixture in the attic I got rid of the last electrical connection left over from the previous owner. I think it might be the worst I've uncovered.

What the...... how the heck.....
eek.gif
words fail
doh.gif

There must've been no internet, public library or even a bookstore available . . .

Last edited:
So, I'm not the only one that has a Workmate leftover from bygone days? It's great to tag along for all the things that go into getting setup. Making a space as much 'our own' as we can for our woodworking is part of the enjoyment. Watching someone else do the work can be even more enjoyable at times :D. There must've been no internet, public library or even a bookstore available . . .

The workmate was a Christmas present from my mom and dad 40 some years ago. It has traveled cross country with me twice and has been a lifesaver many times. It works well as a miter saw stand! It seems to be just the right tool sometimes.

I think of you, Glenn, nearly every time I post a picture that includes the top of my table saw. I always feel you must be grimacing and having to look away when you see how abused my table is. :rofl::rofl: I hope my pictures have not caused you to loose too much sleep.:D

The plan is to lay a laminate floating floor in the shop. Nothing fancy, just the cheapest that will fit my needs. I looked at some of the new epoxy coatings and they can get very complex with washes and etching prior to the actual painting plus I would have to wait till spring.

Some prep work was necessary on one of the walls as the curb was in rough shape. I needed to pump some concrete patch in a few cracks. Next step will be to apply a water proofing paint to the curb and about three inches of the floor, then the moisture barrier will go down.

Here's the before shot

327cbcbe2bc01d1d83e31d1ec20b90fa.jpg

And the after,
68dcb9ef27ec79612870294cc01415a2.jpg

Workmate of mine has been around longer than I can remember. It shows it to. It moves from shop to garage and other places in between. Yes it also was a gift from the folks. Best used gift I have ever received. Itself it just the ticket for small out of the projects.
David

Wouldn't a laminate floor be slippery with sawdust on it?

Some would, yes. The one I have my eye on is at HD for $.68 a sf. It is a lighter color oak and has a texture to it that should keep it from getting to slippery. I had epoxied the concrete floor in my last shop and did not use a traction additive, I was sorry about that every time I went into the shop. Easy to clean, but slick as snot with a layer of sawdust. I have rubber mats for the areas I stand in most often, like in front of the table saw - don't want your feet going out from under you when you're leaning over a cut.:eek: The other issue with epoxy, traction or not, it is hard and cold. Tough on the back if you spend a long day in the shop.

The floor I'm considering has a texture that reminds me of wire brushed pine, what is sometimes sold as 'manufactured barnwood' but less pronounced. should still be easy to sweep up. I've not actually purchased it yet, so I'm open to alternatives so long as they meet my needs and are affordable.

a fire barn near me has got some 16" squares that interlock but look like squares when done its around 1/4" thick i think it came from menards and i know it wasnt expesive was on it for 2 days and it felt great.. also look at a used solid core door for outfeed table .. from restore store flat and cheap

The beginnings of a system.

Went out today and bought the heavier sweep 90's thinking is would be a better choice not realizing they would not mate to some of the pipe and fittings I already own. They are also much more expensive. So, after much deliberation (talking to myself) I decided to go with what I have and see how it works out.

Flex pipe will make the connections to the D.C. And cyclone.

fe379b62082af8dec6b74fe58f264bb9.jpg

The beginnings of a system.

Went out today and bought the heavier sweep 90's thinking is would be a better choice not realizing they would not mate to some of the pipe and fittings I already own. They are also much more expensive. So, after much deliberation (talking to myself) I decided to go with what I have and see how it works out.

Flex pipe will make the connections to the D.C. And cyclone.

fe379b62082af8dec6b74fe58f264bb9.jpg

You do realize that 90s like that KILL your air flow, right? Two 45s is way better, just saying.

You do realize that 90s like that KILL your air flow, right? Two 45s is way better, just saying.

Yes. Sweep 90's much more expensive and don't fit the lighter PVC pipe. 2 45's take up more room, but I am leaning towards taking out the 90's anyway for just that reason, air flow.

Been working on the system this morning and having some second thoughts about how it is going together. Stay tuned.

Now, did you want to mention grounding? :D:D