Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

That looks great Rennie. I hope to have a really put-together looking shop when the wife and I move into our "forever" house. Your efforts are inspiring me.

Got some more done on the floor today. Should finish up the shop section tomorrow with the exception of the last 2 feet or so in front of the roll up door. I have some cracks and water seepage that have to be dealt with in the spring. Also, the office area can't be done till I replace the exterior door which will also have to wait for some warm and dry weather.

I cannot tell you how happy I am with the floor. It brightens up the room like you would not believe and it is so much easier to walk on. I love it! The big question will be durability and only time can answer that question.

b9ea1dc3949e510bd1b13bfcc2e21f9c.jpg

39dae3acde9afcf53dad2a78dde8d3c8.jpg

Been reading along (and enjoying the puns). Your shop really looks great. It makes me want to do mine over again, especially since some of the space restrictions I had at the beginning are gone now. However 91 years says, "Ha ha!" Glenn is probably thinking something stronger than, "Oh my gosh" about me redoing the shop. Dang, getting old puts a crimp in so many dreams.

Enjoy,
JimB

Jim we have to keep on dreaming. Just go as far as you physically can. Then go take a nap and get back at it. I wonder when I buy some tool or other what is long term benefit. I justify that by saying it makes me happy. Re doing my shop all the time so just to make it simpler and easier to make goodies that I really don't need so out they go as gifts.
Mama's happy I'm out of the house so everything is good.
David

rennie replacing a exterior door doesnt take the long. a half day to whole day tops depending on the exterior treatment.

I think I could do it in half a day, just want not to be too cold or wet while doing it. :D I purchased a pre hung with threshold and brick mold attached. I believe I wont have to disturb the siding (vinyl). Soome good weather coming in next week. Might do it then.

The shop portion of the floor is done and I love it. Wheeled tools glide across the room and it cleans up nice and reflects a lot of light back into the room. I'll place a ramp type threshold in front of the roll up door to protect the end of the floor. I priced the off the shelf stuff and they want 1 1/2 times as much $$ for 6' of molding than for an entire box, 25 sf, of flooring! Really? I think I'll take a hunk of maple and mill my own.

Obviously there is still a good deal of organizing and putting away to be done. I have to get some doors on one of the cabinets, and figure out where a lot of other things will wind up. I'll get started on finishing to walls in the office this weekend. After that I think I'll tackle the miter saw station. I want to build an elevated infeed/outfeed table with some drawers beneath. Still have dome details on the dust colllection system to finish up as well.

DSC_0046.jpgDSC_0047.jpgDSC_0044.jpgDSC_0045.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0045.jpg
    DSC_0045.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0046.jpg
    DSC_0046.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0047.jpg
    DSC_0047.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
looks well lit rennie, that threshold for the roll up door, would a transition piece for vinyl floor work? wood is going soak up moisture.

Might have gone a little overboard on lighting. :eek: But I do enjoy a well lit workspace.

A vinyl transition makes sense but don't know if I could find one that would work with the 7mm thick flooring. I'll do a little looking on line. I thought about moisture. I'll stay back about 10" from the door and I was going to paint the floor first with a waterproofing paint and then with a colored paint make for concrete in a color that would be close to the floor color. I figured between staying back 10" and the paint I might be OK.

Sure is a lot more open space than your last shop Rennie, your going to love it:)

Wow, that really looks like a great workspace.

Dream shop Rennie, enjoy it.

Thank you all. The conversion of the garage was not my original plan but it is working out very well. The addition of the laminate floor was a real turning point for me. It moved the shop from garage space to dedicated workspace. Having rearranged and modified my last shop a dozen times in nearly 20 years left me with a long "if I ever have another shop I'd do this differently" list. I've been blessed with the opportunity and an understanding spouse to make many of those wishes come true. Of course all that understanding does have a "build list" attached to it - thinly veiled, of course. :rofl: Besides the chairs mentioned in another thread there are pergolas, chalkboards, yard games, furniture repairs, shelves, and a dozen or more home improvements to be done. Building the shop might turn out to be the easy part! :D

By the way, the shop door is always open to any family member nearby or passing through. Just PM ahead for the directions and to place your order for preferred beverage.:thumb:

Got started on the 'back bench' today. This will be my miter saw station. The raised infeed/outfeed wings will house some shallow drawers as well as a fence with adjustable stops.

Got the "ugly" part done today, the base. All 3/4" CDX. No need to spend good money where it won't be seen.

02401c4d36ab01e3280b818f2eef29bd.jpg

8e3838563c68af133b5dc1c4af6ebcf3.jpg