Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

Moved the office space up front to take advantage of the window and serve as a bit of an air lock for the shop. I think this makes a little more usable square footage available to the shop.

The evolving plan.
View attachment 96799

I like this layout better. The office as an entryway to the shop just seems to make sense. Is the desk/workstation a unit you already have and want to accommodate? If not, a built in workstation and office plan could gain you some more space. Just my 2.6 cents.

I like this layout better. The office as an entryway to the shop just seems to make sense. Is the desk/workstation a unit you already have and want to accommodate? If not, a built in workstation and office plan could gain you some more space. Just my 2.6 cents.
The workstation pictured is just a placeholder. A custom built in will probably be what I end up with. Right now the only piece of office furniture I have is a small file cabinet.

Having the exterior door open into the shop seems to limit the usefulness of the floor space. Having it open into the office space seems to not monopolize the space as much. Seems odd, but it works...I think. :huh:

Some time on my hands while I wait for the zoning approval on my storage shed, so I get to play with designs. Here's the latest fine tuning. I added a sharpeing station and reserved some space under the lumber rack for sheet goods.

3 East.jpg3 North.jpg3 Overview.jpg3 South.jpg3 West.jpg

Whoopee!!!

Received the zoning permit for the storage shed today! Once built I can move all the non-shop stuff out of the way and begin improvements in the garage. Time to refine my materials list and wait for Menards to have their next 11% "rebate on everything" sale.

If you don't have a Menard's CC get one of those first. Buy your stuff and use the card, select 2% back during check out with it. You will get an additional 2% back on those purchases as well. So it is somewhat like 13% off. Just remember to pay off that card:thumb:

Whoopee!!!

Received the zoning permit for the storage shed today! Once built I can move all the non-shop stuff out of the way and begin improvements in the garage. Time to refine my materials list and wait for Menards to have their next 11% "rebate on everything" sale.

Congrats!

will the dust collector be closed in with a door assembly? if so you have less noise but you need to have venting in the room to outside air to help keep heat build up down. and insulation would lessen the noise a lot

will the dust collector be closed in with a door assembly? if so you have less noise but you need to have venting in the room to outside air to help keep heat build up down. and insulation would lessen the noise a lot

Actually the previous owner left two 32" full louver wood doors in the garage. I had planned on using those. I had thought I would tack some furnace filters to the inside of the louver to add one more stage of air filtration and noise abatement. The inside of the closet could also be lined with some form of insulation for sound. What might you suggest?

First upgrade to the garage/shop, natural light
!
31e9f084f9629baedd8661cbef2d4a8e.jpg

i would have a vent to outside to draw in some cooler air, i am not a heating and AC guy so get there idea on it just know heat build up on motors is not good for them, and maybe use fiberglass in walls rather than something applied on outside of the wall there again the sound guys no more than i do. the louvered doors should bounce the sound waves down which would muffle sound some

I ordered the lumber, it will be here Monday! The weatherman is predicting dry conditions in the mid 70's for most of the week - perfect building weather. I got started today prepping the site. Got my level lines set up just before the rain started. I'll get the blocks leveled and the ground cover down by the weekend so I can start nailing things together as soon as the truck drops the load in the driveway.
IMG_0124.jpg

Last edited:
I am told there is very good bass fishing and a lot of those who float by in their bass boats linger near my doc as there are lots of lilies growing under and near it. I'm not a fisherman myself, but anyone who wants to come down and give it a try is welcome!

Site prep: Remember you're in the part of the country where freeze/thaw cycles cause frost heave. Your shed may not stay level for long unless those posts/blocks are below the frost line - probably about 30" in that area.

Site prep: Remember you're in the part of the country where freeze/thaw cycles cause frost heave. Your shed may not stay level for long unless those posts/blocks are below the frost line - probably about 30" in that area.

Thanks Jim - you are correct. I've checked around a bit and most small structures like this do OK with the freeze-thaw cycles around here. I could easily be the exception, but there are other issues in play. Zoning and building codes do not require permits or footings below the frost line for structures under 200 sf. Also, because the shed is within 500 feet of the river, I would have to get a special permit and inspections from the drain commission if I did any excavating (I had to get a waiver from them to satisfy the zoning commission in order to get their approval). Given the trade offs I decided to go with the cement blocks and deal with any movement if and when it occurs. I would have preferred going down 42" as is recommended around here, but just don't want to have to deal with the bureaucracy involved.