Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

Got a little more done on the shop. I ripped up a couple of sheets of 1/2" MDF with a 35° bevel on top to be used as baseboard. Just under 6" tall. A lot cheaper to rip your own than to buy it as molding.

This is about 1/3 of the baseboard and one of the two door jambs. Jan does all the painting!

3bed721f749767d12040df7094c9a015.jpg

I did the same in my house and Duuuhhh figured out it doesn't work so good in the bathroom. All it takes is a little chip in the paint and you get a weird swelling kind of look.

Hey Rennie, Have you looked into cork flooring? It might be worth the few extra bucks. I've seen it for less than $2 sq. ft.

Yep, MDF and H2O don't get along very well. Fortunately (maybe unfortunately) there's no plumbing in the shop.

Cork would have been a good choice but even at $2 a sf that's three times what it cost me for the laminate. So far the laminate has worked well.

Rennie you sure do a nice finishing job in all your projects.
Shops looking like Taj Mahal. You gotta give Jan a big hug for doing the skivvy painting work never mind all the rsst if the support ,painting not something i find enjoyable.

Might have gone a little overboard on lighting. :eek: But I do enjoy a well lit workspace.

A vinyl transition makes sense but don't know if I could find one that would work with the 7mm thick flooring. I'll do a little looking on line. I thought about moisture. I'll stay back about 10" from the door and I was going to paint the floor first with a waterproofing paint and then with a colored paint make for concrete in a color that would be close to the floor color. I figured between staying back 10" and the paint I might be OK.
Looking great Rennie, I know this not exactly what you are looking for but this is what I used to keep water outof the Garage shop here in Arizona. And yes we do get a fair bit of rain at times. No that often but when it comes it all comes at once.

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Smart-F...5376_1_15?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1484850411&sr=1-15

Rennie you sure do a nice finishing job in all your projects.
Shops looking like Taj Mahal. You gotta give Jan a big hug for doing the skivvy painting work never mind all the rsst if the support ,painting not something i find enjoyable.

I hug her every day and tell her how blessed I am to have such a great shop wife. :D

Thanks for your kind words about how it looks. The interior is coming along nicely. Here's a picture of the outside. Gotta love the river view!!:thumb:
images

Got a start on the back bench/miter saw station today. I need shallow drawer storage for small tools and hardware items so I decided to use the space under the infeed/outfeed tables. The drawers will be 4" deep, perfect for squares, tape measures, all my various sizes of nails for the nail and staple guns, and all those screw and nail boxes that come from the hardware store. Drawers to the left of the saw will be 22" deep, to the right of the saw 18" deep.

The first step was to build the base using CDX. as stated in an earlier thread ugly is OK here. I brought the DC to the back of the saw and then sectioned off the run for the pipe. there will be a blast gate just outside the hood. I will probably slice a section of pipe in half forming a trough behind the saw and use the hood to direct the dust to it.

Next step is to install the dividers that go between the drawers making sure they are square to the front of the base, perfectly parallel to each other, and level across their tops. Oh, and exactly the same distance from each other. I'm using 3/4" birch ply for the dividers and drawer boxes.

Here's a quick drawing of what I'm trying to build.
Backbench top 2.jpgBackbench top 1.jpg

And the ugly reality :rofl:
File_000.jpgFile_001.jpg

Last edited:
Finished the DC closet today. All it needs is a couple of inexpensive door knobs and I can move on. I'll come back at a later date and add some shelving and hooks to make better use of the wall space. I'll put rarely used items in there like my halogen work lights, house paint, etc.

The doors offer just enough noise suppression that you could have a conversation in the shop with it running.

9dd1bf043e29632e060b2c372aaea93f.jpg

2ed099f48e58a9ef6ef694ed402d72e2.jpg

Got some more done on the back bench/miter saw station. Got all the dividers installed and the top cut to size. The top won't be attached till all the drawer slides are in. I learned that the hard way. The top won't be screwed down till all the drawers work perfectly. Then some hardboard on top, a fence and a T-track. A little hard wood trim, and.... wow seems like I still have a long way to go.

78c413c0b8ef534343b0fc0e6730b988.jpg

39a650b5c0fe0ad45a0e14c0ace1519a.jpg

I really like that miter setup. So looks like you're running the DC behind those top drawers?

Corectamundo. The drawers on the left of the saw are 22" deep, those on the right are 18". The DC pipe lies in a trough that runs behind the drawers. Seemed like an easy, inconspicuous way to run the pipe. The installation of the blast gate might be a little tricky. Being lazy I want to have the gate as close to the saw as possible. That may mean putting it inside the hood or coming up with some special access prior to the hood. Stay tuned.