Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

Oh boy never rains it pours is what we say when something like that is found.
I would also go through house Rennie, i know its not what you want to hear but man things like that are a fire waiting to happen. Also look for hidden junction boxes that have been plastered over, an idiot like that may have joined cable or Teed it somewhere.
Wish i was closer i would be there in a flash to help.

Oh boy never rains it pours is what we say when something like that is found.
I would also go through house Rennie, i know its not what you want to hear but man things like that are a fire waiting to happen. Also look for hidden junction boxes that have been plastered over, an idiot like that may have joined cable or Teed it somewhere.
Wish i was closer i would be there in a flash to help.

In fact I have already redone about 80% of the connections in the house. The majority of the switches were wired into the neutral side of the circuit, I found a "junction" in the attic that was just a wire nutted connection hanging in mid air, and the dual lights on either side of the patio door are wired in series so if you take out one of the bulbs the other light goes out. The fixture over the sink in the bathroom had no box behind it, it was screwed to the wall and the wire was just poked through a hole in the wall.

I'm working on opening every connection in both the house and garage and correcting what ever I find. I had one outlet with 7 wires connected to it, four to the screw terminals, two push ins, and the ground. Another instance where joining the wires in the box and using pigtails to the fixture was in order.

Tore out the last of the previous owners workbench and shelving today and got the first four of twenty lighting fixtures installed. Jan came in and put on a coat of primer. We'll put the finish coat on tomorrow. This is where the brackets will go for lumber storage.
a4eb5287728975731f3a4f9b08ed0012.jpg

0ad80a8da520f0c0c4d4758b4832047c.jpg

While waiting for the paint and joint compound to dry I thought I'd be productive and get started on the electrical. I'm using wiremold raceways building off the outlets already installed. Since I have to rehab/rewire all of the bad work previously done anyway, this seemed like the easiest way to go to get me plenty of outlet options. For the most part there will be a duplex 20a duplex outlet every 32" with a double here and there where needed.
abbc505667316eada4905ac079ddfe42.jpg

Last edited:
Jan finished up the painting so I hung the standards and brackets that will become the new lumber rack.

a518a73be80e2b52d414310912be4090.jpg

The conversion kit for the Modine Hot Dawg unit heater (NG to propane) arrived today so tomorrow I'll install the kit and hang the heater. The gas company and HVAC guy will be here around the 17th to hook it up and run the vent. It's been warm, up in the 70's, the past couple of days and temps are supposed to stay in the 60's for a while - hope so! However, the weather has been a distraction as I like to go sit out on the dock and watch the day go by.

fe5368262a43fd567e2602b7f60ff90e.jpg

I'm also painting another section of the ceiling tomorrow and that will allow me to hang the ambient air cleaner. Getting that and the unit heater up off the floor will make it easier to wheel around the tools and get more of the lighting installed.

Last edited:
No doubt about it! I think one of Rennie's first projects should be a canoe or kayak...that water is just begging for it! :thumb:
I agree, but i too would sitting out there in one of Allens chairs until the snow flies. Then spend time in the shop. That scene is way too good to let go by knowing whats coming down the road.

On other hand if it freezes in winter , well that could be cool for skating or ice fishing if there are any fish in that river.

Heck Rennie why not try a line in there now. :) Just check the season regs first wouldnt want trouble with fish and game boys.

I'm not a fisherman, but any of you that are should feel free to drop by anytime to wet a line. [emoji245][emoji245]

Back in the shop today. Been patching walls and getting them painted. Yesterday I was up in the attic running electrical for the D.C., AC, and the 220v line for the major tools. Most of the lines are run now so I'll be installing the new panel this coming week. It's actually beginning to resemble a workspace!

Rennie you in Michigan now, lol, gotta take advantage of them natural resources. Hunting, fishing, heck imagine catching a nice fish cleaning it up and having a fish fry without even leaving home or paying a cent. What a meal. Have to get old grey beard to pop down and show you the ropes. Just watch him if he does cause he might sneak off with the bounty .😉

Rennie you in Michigan now, lol, gotta take advantage of them natural resources. Hunting, fishing, heck imagine catching a nice fish cleaning it up and having a fish fry without even leaving home or paying a cent. What a meal. Have to get old grey beard to pop down and show you the ropes. Just watch him if he does cause he might sneak off with the bounty .[emoji6]

He would be welcome to it. I'm not a fish eater, fisherman or hunter. However, the invitation is always open to others.

Walls are going in! I got the majority of the Sheetrock up yesterday. This view shows the closet where the compressor and dust collector will be located. A small, 8' x 8', office is on the other side of the closet.

8f9b46e5d04d3875ef8d8d20a6cd4d4a.jpg

I am a big believer in having plenty of light in the workspace. The shop area will be approximately 550 sf and there will be 16 two lamp fluorescent fixtures and four 6 lamp high bay fixtures. (Just scored these on Craig's list for $30 each including lamps!) that is a total of 58 32w lamps for a total of 1,856 watts. (Might have to wear sunscreen in the shop!)

Now, that's all well and good, and maybe a little overkill, but it has pushed me to make another decision. I had earlier decided to try and get by through the winter with the current 30a feed to the shop. Frankly, I just don't see that as possible once I start crunching the numbers.

Lighting alone will use half of my available power (1,856w/120v=15.5a). The Hot Dawg unit heater draws another 2a. It's becoming obvious that I can either see what I am doing or cut wood, but not both at the same time.

I guess it's time to call in the electrician and get trenching before the ground freezes![emoji30]

Well Rennie you could drastically reduce the cost of operating those lights and ballast noise by converting them to led tubes and hooking them up to 120v directly. You would as a bonus even get more lumens from led lights.
Keep in mind the power bill is forever capital cost a once off in todays value of money.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/TOGGLED-...e-Light-Bulb-12-Pack-A416-35210-12K/206091865

Walls a looking good, did you pack any insulation in the compressor / dust collector closet walls to help with sound dampening?

Last edited:
Well Rennie you could drastically reduce the cost of operating those lights and ballast noise by converting them to led tubes and hooking them up to 120v directly. You would as a bonus even get more lumens from led lights.
Keep in mind the power bill is forever capital cost a once off in todays value of money.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/TOGGLED-...e-Light-Bulb-12-Pack-A416-35210-12K/206091865

Walls a looking good, did you pack any insulation in the compressor / dust collector closet walls to help with sound dampening?

I love LED lighting, but at 4 times the cost for the tubes, it's just not within my reach. The 16 2 lamp fixtures I have I purchased used before I left Idaho for $75. The 6 lamp fixtures purchased used here for $120 (4 units). 32w daylight tubes are $35 a dozen compared to $140 per dozen for the LED's. I know that the operating cost would be lower, but frankly, I don't think I could get to the breakeven point in my lifetime! As costs for LED's continues to drop that might change and I may someday convert, but not soon I'm afraid. I am a big fan of LED (I did convert nearly all the fixtures in the house already). I knew decades ago when the government put all its power and money behind compact fluorescents that LED's would be the lighting of the future.

As for the insulation, no. I did give it some thought, but as a one man shop there seemed to be no need as I am not likely to be working on the computer or talking on the phone in the office while the DC is running. WOuld there be another reason? Am I missing something? I don't think there would be any appreciable noise reduction in the shop as the closet will have double 32" louvered doors.

Woke up to 26 degree temps this morning. Can't wait to get the heat installed next Monday. The joint compound takes forever to dry when it is so cool and it is slowing me down in a schedule that is already about a month behind. On the bright side I am putting the finishing touches on the electrical work inside the shop. All the wire has been pulled for the additional outlets, tools, heat, AC, and DC. The new panel will go in soon (wanted to do it earlier but fell behind). I'll get hold of the electrician on Monday and let him know we are back on again for supply upgrade install. Not looking forward to digging 50' of trench but hope not to go the full 18" deep by using metal conduit. Turns out the conduit is cheap in comparison to my aching back! I'll need to check around, but I think I can go 10" or 12" if the line is in metal conduit.

Rennie I agree about the lights, more is better, maybe you can put them on two or 3 circuits, then you can have some turned off if you are not in that part of the workshop?

Also Rob has a point about the sound deadening, but I'd go the Green Glue route, this stuff really does work, and you can add it right now, just another layer of drywall with the Green Glue in between layers and you will really reduce the amount of noise coming out of that room, well worth the extra time and money, IMHO.

Cheers!

This is so great Rennie. Looks like your new digs are feeling about right to you. I know the view over the water would sooth me out ;-) I'm jealous of the smooth white ceiling amplifying your lighting. That will be sweet.