Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

Moved a few wires and added lighting to the attic over the shop today. All ready for insulation! In removing the old light fixture in the attic I got rid of the last electrical connection left over from the previous owner. I think it might be the worst I've uncovered.

22c2937dfe053f0411a65636228d8a69.jpg

Depending on the weather, we're expecting 3-6" by tomorrow this time, I'll blow in the insulation tomorrow. If I'm busy with the snowblower it might have to wait till Monday.

What the...... how the heck..... :eek: words fail :doh:

What the...... how the heck..... :eek: words fail :doh:

Yep, it makes you wonder. There were 6 of these super cheap fixtures in the garage and every one was wired in similar fashion. The wires are not stripped properly, wires were too short in the box, the twisted connection is all wrong, ....., yes, words fail. I've been dealing with issues in the house as well but, thankfully, no where near as scary.

Last edited:
I can't even. I mean, there's no way those fixtures could have been meant to have been used like that? That is just, beyond words.

from what i can see, there should be a dead short period black and whites connected to grounds at the device?

Yeah, it kind of looks that way in the photo, but everything was connected in the right place, but with over an inch of bare wire leading to each terminal and, of course, the two wires joined at the connection point. I would never use this kind of fixture myself, just don't like the way they connect. If I were to use one the obvious correct way to do them is to properly strip back the sheathing, wire nut the two lines together with a third (pigtail?) and use that to connect to the terminal - just one wire properly stripped only as far as needed to wrap around the screw.

While on the subject, I'm sold on these doohickies - Soooooo much easier than wire nuts and the wires, once connected, can still rotate within the connection making pressing them to the back of the box much easier. They come in 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 connection sizes.

364-7341.jpg

Check another thing off the shop 'must do' list, insulating the attic space. Not a moment too soon either. Temps tonight are supposed to drop to around 4.

Talk about a dusty dirty job! Getting the baffles in was a pain, blowing in the cellulose was a bit less physical but dirty.
54128cc60fd33d9b5453c03661fbd2f7.jpg

f62f669eeba5e739814a2100579efcc5.jpg

R19 + a little. Can't do much more than that for over half of the area because it is floored. A little more on the sides. I actually bought about 25% more than specified for an R19 and still ran short and had to get 2 more bales to finish. I know this area usually demands more. I'll see how this works. I also bought some netting to staple to the truss web to hold back even more should I want to in the future.

On that note, I priced the netting made specifically for this purpose, pricey. I got PVC poultry netting, 24" x 25' x 3/4" opening and cut it in half for two 12" runs... under $10.

Been unpacking what I could and realized I needed some flexible storage for jigs, miter gauges, and a few other things that store better hanging than they do in cabinets or in drawers.

I purchased the prefinished version of pegboard to save me a little time painting. First order of business was to screw up some firing strips at the stud locations for support and clearance behind the panels. Then a quick coat of paint to match the walls.

This is going help a great deal in getting things organized and easy to access.
f1030e47681a1ce91d0476e96d567f9d.jpg

da9f046f285ad2de08622c394698ba75.jpg

e8ca9d04c68b394704876b415d79dfd7.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! I need to give pegboard a try, I've got several sheets of it in the back of my shop left by the previous owner, probably could move some of it up front by my work area.

Very nice! I need to give pegboard a try, I've got several sheets of it in the back of my shop left by the previous owner, probably could move some of it up front by my work area.

Many look down on pegboard as being too 'homeowner'. For me it is just inexpensive storage that can be totally reconfigured anytime my needs change. The local Menards sells 3/4" melamine faced slatboard which I would love to have used but it was much more expensive (especially if you use the metal inserts to beef up the slots) and I would have had to purchase all new hangers. Over the years I have aquired many dozens of pegboard hooks.