Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    How about a small bump out like this on the back to house the DC, maybe a compressor, that doesn't affect the "foot print" at all.
    Sneaky! I like it. I was going to wonder about putthg the DC (or at least the motor/cyclone part) in the garage attic -- if noise is that much an issue.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Sneaky indeed! It would not add to the footprint. But that is the offending side of the building being only 2' off the property line rather than the required 10'. Perhaps another side? In the attic? Interesting. I can see that working for a cyclone but I'm afraid a cyclone is not in the budget. Looking at a single stage unit.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I thought you had a cyclone, sorry! Oh wait, did you sell yours before the move? No matter.

Rennie, my shop is like 11x24 so to my mind you have tons of space. And a closet for the cyclone is nice, but you can always box it in at some point in the future. You're going to be wearing hearing protection anyway when you use your TS, or whatever, so ...

As for the office, you mean that you'd like to box in the spot under the window by the person-door? That would kind of be like an airlock/entry area then also. I bet you could do that with very minimal cost -- maybe try to work it such that the electrical is all just in the exterior wall, so that if you find that something isn't quite right, then removing or reconfiguring those partition walls is as painless as possible.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    I thought you had a cyclone, sorry! Oh wait, did you sell yours before the move? No matter.

Rennie, my shop is like 11x24 so to my mind you have tons of space. And a closet for the cyclone is nice, but you can always box it in at some point in the future. You're going to be wearing hearing protection anyway when you use your TS, or whatever, so ...

As for the office, you mean that you'd like to box in the spot under the window by the person-door? That would kind of be like an airlock/entry area then also. I bet you could do that with very minimal cost -- maybe try to work it such that the electrical is all just in the exterior wall, so that if you find that something isn't quite right, then removing or reconfiguring those partition walls is as painless as possible.
    I did have a cyclone, and I did sell it before moving. It was an Oneida internal filter unit that only pulled about 550 cfm and was a bear to clean. Unless I come across a great used deal on another cyclone I would look seriously at the Grizzley single stage one bag unit pulling 1700 cfm.

My initial thought was to put the office in the front corner to utilize the window, but I think moving to the back corner might be better. Not having to walk through the office to get to the shop might be good. Should help keep down the dust. I can always add a second window.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I was killing some time and taking a stab at layout, just grabbed some similar items from the 3d warehouse. I haven't got all of them in yet, but was also thinking long board storage along the wall opposite the man door, but wasn't sure if you'd be parking cars in the space and how long they are if so?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FWW Shop layout.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	96660

So where is the panel going to be located?

What type of table extension do you have on the table saw? If it's not housing any cabinetry, would you consider making it part of your router table setup rather than having a separate cabinet? Might save some foot print space.

What items would you consider making mobile?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

My current view on shops is there is never enough space. So i now believe a dedicated layout is unpleasant to work in and too cramped. My new view is consider operations we dont do every day like planning and jointing and make sure those are mobile stations.
    Definitely going to merge the planner and sander into a single flip stand and make it mobile.
    The two items to me that get space are table saw and workbench. I like being able to get around the entire workbench with space to mo e around it. Mobile machines even mobile draws make for pulling in and pushing close together when not i use.
    There is now no doubt in my mind that a lumber rack in the shop area even a mobile one like i have is just a bad idea.
    Trouble is how many of us can have a storage shed and garden shed on their property. Last town i was in the code only allowed for a 10x10 shed. I just love having the wood outside in the shed and i think shortly the lumber cart is going to the happy hunting grounds and lumber on it to the shed too. Gotta thank Allen for starting that idea.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I was killing some time and taking a stab at layout, just grabbed some similar items from the 3d warehouse. I haven't got all of them in yet, but was also thinking long board storage along the wall opposite the man door, but wasn't sure if you'd be parking cars in the space and how long they are if so?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FWW Shop layout.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	96660

So where is the panel going to be located?

What type of table extension do you have on the table saw? If it's not housing any cabinetry, would you consider making it part of your router table setup rather than having a separate cabinet? Might save some foot print space.

What items would you consider making mobile?
    The panel is located in the wall next to the man door at the front corner.
    The table saw has only the side table. I have a small assembly table, and when needed, the router table that serve as an outfeed table. Never been a fan of the combination table saw router table. No cars coming into the shop - this is just a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    My current view on shops is there is never enough space. So i now believe a dedicated layout is unpleasant to work in and too cramped. My new view is consider operations we dont do every day like planning and jointing and make sure those are mobile stations.
    Definitely going to merge the planner and sander into a single flip stand and make it mobile.
    The two items to me that get space are table saw and workbench. I like being able to get around the entire workbench with space to mo e around it. Mobile machines even mobile draws make for pulling in and pushing close together when not i use.
    There is now no doubt in my mind that a lumber rack in the shop area even a mobile one like i have is just a bad idea.
    Trouble is how many of us can have a storage shed and garden shed on their property. Last town i was in the code only allowed for a 10x10 shed. I just love having the wood outside in the shed and i think shortly the lumber cart is going to the happy hunting grounds and lumber on it to the shed too. Gotta thank Allen for starting that idea.
    Every tool is mobile, even the table saw. The workbench is not, but both the aforementioned router table and small assembly table are.

My bulk lumber storage will be in the new shed. I'll keep some inside, but probably just enough for whatever project I am working on and shorts. Because of space limitations in the last shop I stored all but the jointer and table saw against a wall and pulled them out to the floor as needed. Now with more space available I am thinking to do the same thing, not because of limits so much as to make the shop more open and easy to navigate.

One thing I think I would really like to have is a larger assembly table, perhaps 3' x 6' (4 x 8 would be great, but I don't think there is room). My current assembly table is about 26 x 32. I've been kicking around a few ideas and one thing makes a lot of sense, the assembly table should have a lot of drawers and cabinet storage. This helps keep tools where used and reduces the number of wall cabinets needed thereby making it easier to push large tools to the wall and out of the way.

www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    ...one thing makes a lot of sense, the assembly table should have a lot of drawers and cabinet storage. This helps keep tools where used...
    Making one side of it a clamp rack is also a good idea.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    No cars coming into the shop - this is just a shop.
    Well, that makes this a little easier, I thought you still needed it for parking too.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Making one side of it a clamp rack is also a good idea.
    Thanks Jim, i am absolutely going to steal that idea. I have another set of what i call Tom Clark draws and my mobile clamp rack has been in the way since i built it. Its been on my list to revamp but now i am going to add a wall and rack and make it such that it caters to the clamps on all sides and the wall. Thanks ,man thanks you just solved a big one for me.
    cheers