Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

Doors and windows only keep you the honest people. If someone wants in and wants what you've got, they are going to get it.

Like Darren, I've got cameras all over. They have nice little infrared lights that you can see quite easily at night.

Got ours at costco and it came with 8 cameras. I ran cameras all around and routed the cables through the crawl space. It's definitely a nice to have in this day and age.

Remember, Stu, this is pretty much next door to "small town middle-o-nowhere, Michigan".

Looks like a great yard there, Rennie. I'd be glad to have that view. Shop is looking great.

We're not in the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from here! :rofl:

Thanks for the kind words Art. This week I've been concentrating on the office space. Gotta get that done because Jan is wanting me to get all my 'office stuff' out of the guest room. :rolleyes:

Been working on getting the office space done. Found a desk, printer stand and bookcase on Craig's list. Desk isn't exactly what I would have wanted but it will work just fine till I can build its replacement. Had a lot of pictures and books to get up on the walls and shelves. Just about finished in here. I need to replace the temp fluorescent ceiling fixture and get the door hung between the office and shop. Then I need to knock a few items off the honey-do list.

91ca68123b85034db617653e55b3a0c5.jpg

caf4deee69bd15c03cb6e54ceacd5aab.jpg

I began milling the ambrosia maple I picked up a couple of weeks ago. This will become the drawer fronts and face frames for my miter station. I'm going to try and keep everything in order so I can get continuous grain across the fronts of the drawers. Well, at least that's the plan!

Got it squared up and flat and down to a little over 7/8". I'll let it go for a day or so before taking it down to 3/4".

f91de001b65f0e16203f08a82ae85279.jpg

3ef71580f06f23ed3d716d2e7517813e.jpg

I finally got the miter saw station pretty much complete. Everything is ready to go except for the T track that sits on top of the fence. I made some stops out of some left over Corian countertop, I think they will work fine.

I tried to make good use of the space on either side of the saw by installing drawers that hold a lot of smaller items. All my drill bits, some hardware, planes, safety gear, etc., go into the drawers. The dust collection runs behind the bank of drawers to the right of the saw. I fashioned a hood out of plywood and formica to direct the sawdust down to a trough. It works pretty well but I think I need a small elbow on the back of the saws discharge. That would Direct the dust towards the trough a little more efficiently.

The saw is bolted to a platform that lifts out so I can take it closer to a job site. Two "T" nuts and 1/4 x 20 bolts hold it down in the front and a French cleat holds it tight in the back.

I have 8'4" to the left of the blade and over 9 foot of supported length to the right but obviously could go out much further if needed.

This is pretty much the last major portion of the shop to be worked on. I still need an out feed/assembly table and a door between the office and shop, but I can get along just fine without them for a while. Oh, and the cut off bin that will go beneath the miter saw. I guess it is time to start working on the honey do list. I cannot use an unfinished shop as an excuse any longer.

ee37e6ca5576d02852ce79bd5cfa3c06.jpg

a557ab72313f60616083a9cc1814aee0.jpg

e6b32efad3c61a5bab23b48378145fcd.jpg

656704944021384247c17878606c40e6.jpg

c7035edf6339cec9c991e355b100b71d.jpg

7210da2c2acb10dd3840f0788e126337.jpg

Last edited:
Well its all to clean by half, so I'm hoping you'll get on remedying that forthwith to stop making the rest of us look bad :)

Already dusty. Been getting started on that honey-do list.

that is way too pretty, Rennie... :thumb:

It might never look like this again, I had to memorialize it in pictures so I could look back fondly on the 'good old days'. :rofl:

Man not only is it clean beautiful and organized its also roomy, you really showing some of us up. ;)
Very nice Rennie.

I'm not used to the space yet. I keep catching myself falling into old habits developed when I had much less space, piling up 'stuff' rather than spreading out and putting away. Not attempting to show up anyone, just trying to keep up with you guys! I hope others can use my ideas as much as I have used theirs.

Very, very nice. I'm done posting shop pics.
Giving Glenn a run for the most organized space, I figure.
Well done sir :thumb:

That is high praise but I would have a long way to go. Glenn is the Jedi Master of organization. Please post shop pics! We all have things we can learn from others!

Yeah, Pretty much just 'Wow'! Wow!

Thank you sir!

That is great used of that space on each side of the miter, sure looks purdy too! :thumb:

Thanks Darren. I watched several videos on You Tube, including Norm Abram's miter station build and was always amazed how so much precious bench space was wasted by placing a raised platform across a bench top to support the work on the saw. I wondered why the old saying "if you can't raise the bridge, lower the river" never inspired anyone to lower the saw rather than raise the bench. I also have the saw mounted to a removable platform to take it to where the work is. Cheaper than buying a second saw. :D

Very beautiful shop. Good things coming in the future for sure. I am sure your posts are going to inspire the rest of us to get out shop together.
David