Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Rennie I agree about the lights, more is better, maybe you can put them on two or 3 circuits, then you can have some turned off if you are not in that part of the workshop?....Cheers!
    Good point. I regret not doing that. Also regret not placing a separate circuit/switch single socket light near each door for those times when you just want to pop in to retrieve a tool. They claim that frequent on and off reduces the life of your ballasts. Can't tell if you are running T8's or T5's, but I really like the T5 high bay fixtures with daylight lamps I put up in the attic.....instant on and they don't seem to mind the cold. They are much better than the T8's in the garage and give you more bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Rennie I agree about the lights, more is better, maybe you can put them on two or 3 circuits, then you can have some turned off if you are not in that part of the workshop?

Also Rob has a point about the sound deadening, but I'd go the Green Glue route, this stuff really does work, and you can add it right now, just another layer of drywall with the Green Glue in between layers and you will really reduce the amount of noise coming out of that room, well worth the extra time and money, IMHO.

Cheers!
    Interesting stuff that green glue. Never saw that before. Actually, I would only have to do two walls, the back wall and the side facing the shop. Worth considering. As for the lights, I did break off the office area on a separate switch and I am considering breaking off the high bay fixtures. Essentially, the 16 two-lamp fixtures illuminate the perimeter of the room and the 4 six-lamp high bay fixtures light the center over the TS and workbench. I can see breaking them off.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Good point. I regret not doing that. Also regret not placing a separate circuit/switch single socket light near each door for those times when you just want to pop in to retrieve a tool. They claim that frequent on and off reduces the life of your ballasts. Can't tell if you are running T8's or T5's, but I really like the T5 high bay fixtures with daylight lamps I put up in the attic.....instant on and they don't seem to mind the cold. They are much better than the T8's in the garage and give you more bang for the buck.
    Ted, Were finances not such a large concern I would have gone with T-5 high bays throughout. I agree with you, they are great. For now I will have to hobble along with my T-8's

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    This is so great Rennie. Looks like your new digs are feeling about right to you. I know the view over the water would sooth me out ;-) I'm jealous of the smooth white ceiling amplifying your lighting. That will be sweet.
    I'm actually thinking about replacing the current solid door to one with a window as there are no windows in the shop on the waterfront side.

www.wrworkshop.com

Hung the heater today. Need to finish the NG to LPG conversion and hook up the power. HVAC guy and gas co will be here end of next week to do final hook up. None too soon! Below freezing the last two mornings.

www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Hung the heater today. Need to finish the NG to LPG conversion and hook up the power. HVAC guy and gas co will be here end of next week to do final hook up. None too soon! Below freezing the last two mornings.
    ......cool!......
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

That should keep things nice and comfy out there! Congrats!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Another milestone yesterday, the air cleaner is up and running! Also got some more lighting installed and the HVAC guy will be here today to run gas pipe and venting for the heater.

www.wrworkshop.com

None too soon for the heater eh? You gotta love our weather here, 71 yesterday and snowing this morning Shops coming along well Rennie, you will be making sawdust soon

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    None too soon for the heater eh? You gotta love our weather here, 71 yesterday and snowing this morning Shops coming along well Rennie, you will be making sawdust soon
    Yep, pretty nipply out there this morning! Can't wait till Monday when the gas gets hooked up.

www.wrworkshop.com