Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

The extension table on my table saw was in rough shape and was not really worth moving across the country so it met its demise in Idaho. Now that the shop here is finally coming together I needed to replace it so I could make better use of the saw as I move towards some finishing touches.

I had a few scrap pieces of lyptus and poplar on the pile for the framework so all I needed was to pick up a half sheet of ACX and some laminate.

I chose 3/4" ply over the usual 1/2" thinking it would be stronger. It may well be but it also presented a challenge that I did not see till the final installation. There was not enough room under the top to attach the nuts on the bolts that hold the table to the rails. So, I had to do a little chisel work. Oh well.

I decided to build the frame first and set the plywood in later. Don't know why. But I knew any gaps would be covered by the laminate so I forged on.

Got it all together and glued on the laminate. After trimming the laminate I gave the edges a few passes with a block plane and got it installed. I will forever wonder why I chose a laminate that always looks dusty.

Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Dusty means you are working in your shop!

I think it looks great from here!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

So, I'm not the only one that has a Workmate leftover from bygone days? It's great to tag along for all the things that go into getting setup. Making a space as much 'our own' as we can for our woodworking is part of the enjoyment. Watching someone else do the work can be even more enjoyable at times .

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Moved a few wires and added lighting to the attic over the shop today. All ready for insulation! In removing the old light fixture in the attic I got rid of the last electrical connection left over from the previous owner. I think it might be the worst I've uncovered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    What the...... how the heck..... words fail
    There must've been no internet, public library or even a bookstore available . . .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-22-2016 at 06:16 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    So, I'm not the only one that has a Workmate leftover from bygone days? It's great to tag along for all the things that go into getting setup. Making a space as much 'our own' as we can for our woodworking is part of the enjoyment. Watching someone else do the work can be even more enjoyable at times . There must've been no internet, public library or even a bookstore available . . .
    The workmate was a Christmas present from my mom and dad 40 some years ago. It has traveled cross country with me twice and has been a lifesaver many times. It works well as a miter saw stand! It seems to be just the right tool sometimes.

I think of you, Glenn, nearly every time I post a picture that includes the top of my table saw. I always feel you must be grimacing and having to look away when you see how abused my table is. I hope my pictures have not caused you to loose too much sleep.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

The plan is to lay a laminate floating floor in the shop. Nothing fancy, just the cheapest that will fit my needs. I looked at some of the new epoxy coatings and they can get very complex with washes and etching prior to the actual painting plus I would have to wait till spring.

Some prep work was necessary on one of the walls as the curb was in rough shape. I needed to pump some concrete patch in a few cracks. Next step will be to apply a water proofing paint to the curb and about three inches of the floor, then the moisture barrier will go down.

Here's the before shot

And the after,

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    So, I'm not the only one that has a Workmate leftover from bygone days? . . .
    I've got one, too. Don't drag it out of the barn often, but it does come in handy from time-to-time.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Looking good!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I've got one, too. And I'd love to have another.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Workmate of mine has been around longer than I can remember. It shows it to. It moves from shop to garage and other places in between. Yes it also was a gift from the folks. Best used gift I have ever received. Itself it just the ticket for small out of the projects.
    David

Wouldn't a laminate floor be slippery with sawdust on it?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart