Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

I'm late to this thread, sorry, I've had a quick read, and I have a couple of things to add right from the start.

First, no matter where you put your compressor, wire a switch into the electrical outlet that the compressor is on, then locate that switch right next to the door that your leave your workshop from, label it "Compressor" and then you turn it off every time you leave the workshop.

The second thing is move your workbench out from the wall, the way you have it now you do not get the full usage of such a workbench. Maybe swap the work bench and the tablesaw positions, move the table saw towards the wall where the workbench was, and then put the workbench in the middle of the room, where it should be. The workbench should be just lower than your tablesaw, so you can use it as an outfeed table of sorts. I really cannot say this strongly enough, a workbench against a wall is a lot of potential wasted. A workbench in the middle of a room is so very versatile, IMHO. You asked for opinions, there is mine :D

First, no matter where you put your compressor, wire a switch into the electrical outlet that the compressor is on, then locate that switch right next to the door that your leave your workshop from, label it "Compressor" and then you turn it off every time you leave the workshop.

The second thing is move your workbench out from the wall, the way you have it now you do not get the full usage of such a workbench. Maybe swap the work bench and the tablesaw positions, move the table saw towards the wall where the workbench was, and then put the workbench in the middle of the room, where it should be. The workbench should be just lower than your tablesaw, so you can use it as an outfeed table of sorts. I really cannot say this strongly enough, a workbench against a wall is a lot of potential wasted. A workbench in the middle of a room is so very versatile, IMHO. You asked for opinions, there is mine :D

Something worth looking into. I really like the compressor switch idea and I will likely use it. Makes good sense. As for the bench, mine is a small bench not really good for larger work. I agree that having it away from the wall but I think I addressed this by planning for a large assembly table on wheels that doubles as an outfeed table. This gives me the walk around table. Does this sound right? :huh: I assume the walk around function is what is important, not if it is a bench or large table/bench.

Something worth looking into. I really like the compressor switch idea and I will likely use it. Makes good sense. As for the bench, mine is a small bench not really good for larger work. I agree that having it away from the wall but I think I addressed this by planning for a large assembly table on wheels that doubles as an outfeed table. This gives me the walk around table. Does this sound right? :huh: I assume the walk around function is what is important, not if it is a bench or large table/bench.

IMHO an assembly table should be much lower than a workbench, as it is an assembly table.

A good workbench is a primary tool in your workshop, the multitude of ways you can hold/handle something your are working on is invaluable once you have used one. I'd give up my SawStop before I'd give up my workbench.

IMHO an assembly table should be much lower than a workbench, as it is an assembly table.

A good workbench is a primary tool in your workshop, the multitude of ways you can hold/handle something your are working on is invaluable once you have used one. I'd give up my SawStop before I'd give up my workbench.
Strong words!! :eek:

Guess I need to take another look at my layout.

I've heard really good arguments for both layouts.

Generally the against the wall crowd espouses the benefits of being near a window (with nice raking light) and tool racks over the bench. Traditionally a lot of benches were placed against the wall, but I'm pretty sure that that was largely driven by the need for good light rather than other considerations. Nowadays windows are cheaper (so we can have more) and we have lights that actually work so its somewhat less compelling.

The centre of the room crowd espouses the benefits of accessibility and being able to have it be more multi-purpose (as an outfeed table, etc..).

My woodworking bench is kind of in the center of the room, although towards the back, so the light is a bit of a problem. I've solved that somewhat with a battery of overheads but they still don't beat natural light (I suppose if you had sufficient overhead windows that could also work in that regard - I've seen places like that :drool:). Its not set-up as usable for an outfeed and personally I can't see that usually working because a) I'm messy and b) I find the height/proportions for hand working more important than the outfeed use case. I have considered adding an overhead tool/part storage in the middle - that would also give me a place to hand more direct lights. I visited a fellows shop a couple towns over a few years back who had that setup - he had hung some heat lamps on drop downs to aid in getting glue ups to dry in the winter in a timely fashion being ~mostly~ unheated, the easy access to the most commonly used chisels/planes "right there" was also pretty useful looking. In practice I would say I do roughly 90% of my work from one side and end of the workbench so I'm not entirely sure that having it in the middle of the room matters for that... The other 10% is for large panels or similar which I could arguably solve other ways (especially with an assembly table), but has been mildly convenient in those cases.

My metalworking bench is near the entrance and against a wall/corner and works pretty well there. Of course I'm mostly working with small stuff there and it was somewhat practically placed where I can move the more arcing and sparking bits outside to a less flammable environment.

I'm not personally extremely convinced that either is the answer, indeed I'm pretty sure there isn't a single answer but a lot depends on how you use it and what sort of work you do on it. I think the center of the room argument would also be a lot more compelling if you do a lot of large case work and less so if you do more small fiddly bits (in the latter case some storage cubbies over the bench to store bits and pieces and works in progress might be a compelling feature).

I've heard really good arguments for both layouts.

Generally the against the wall crowd espouses the benefits of being near a window (with nice raking light) and tool racks over the bench. Traditionally a lot of benches were placed against the wall, but I'm pretty sure that that was largely driven by the need for good light rather than other considerations. Nowadays windows are cheaper (so we can have more) and we have lights that actually work so its somewhat less compelling.

The centre of the room crowd espouses the benefits of accessibility and being able to have it be more multi-purpose (as an outfeed table, etc..).

My woodworking bench is kind of in the center of the room, although towards the back, so the light is a bit of a problem. I've solved that somewhat with a battery of overheads but they still don't beat natural light (I suppose if you had sufficient overhead windows that could also work in that regard - I've seen places like that :drool:). Its not set-up as usable for an outfeed and personally I can't see that usually working because a) I'm messy and b) I find the height/proportions for hand working more important than the outfeed use case. I have considered adding an overhead tool/part storage in the middle - that would also give me a place to hand more direct lights. I visited a fellows shop a couple towns over a few years back who had that setup - he had hung some heat lamps on drop downs to aid in getting glue ups to dry in the winter in a timely fashion being ~mostly~ unheated, the easy access to the most commonly used chisels/planes "right there" was also pretty useful looking. In practice I would say I do roughly 90% of my work from one side and end of the workbench so I'm not entirely sure that having it in the middle of the room matters for that... The other 10% is for large panels or similar which I could arguably solve other ways (especially with an assembly table), but has been mildly convenient in those cases.

My metalworking bench is near the entrance and against a wall/corner and works pretty well there. Of course I'm mostly working with small stuff there and it was somewhat practically placed where I can move the more arcing and sparking bits outside to a less flammable environment.

I'm not personally extremely convinced that either is the answer, indeed I'm pretty sure there isn't a single answer but a lot depends on how you use it and what sort of work you do on it. I think the center of the room argument would also be a lot more compelling if you do a lot of large case work and less so if you do more small fiddly bits (in the latter case some storage cubbies over the bench to store bits and pieces and works in progress might be a compelling feature).

That right there is the key.

Windows....? The only windows I have in the Dungeon is on my computer, and it's Windows 7 Ultimate LOL

My shop is small enough that almost anything in the shop is just a few steps away, but I guess if you had a large enough shop you might take the wall storage cubbies into consideration, but if you had a shop that big, why not have at least two work benches?

Really, Ryan does nail it, it will depend on what kind of work you do Rennie, and if you do set it up incorrectly (against the wall) you can, when you see that I was correct, ;) move the bench into the middle of the workshop where it should be :D (you know I'm funning you right?)

Ready for lumber! I crawled around on the wet grass in between rain showers yesterday and got all the blocks placed and leveled. I had to go with piers for the high end feeling it was a better choice than stacking blocks. As it turns out they, although heavier, seemed easier to place and level. Something to file away in case I ever undertake something like this again.

The lumber delivery arrives Monday morning!
IMG_2074.jpg
The four blocks in the foreground are just sitting there. I think I might eventually use them as the stoop for the man door.

Ready for lumber! I crawled around on the wet grass in between rain showers yesterday and got all the blocks placed and leveled. I had to go with piers for the high end feeling it was a better choice than stacking blocks. As it turns out they, although heavier, seemed easier to place and level. Something to file away in case I ever undertake something like this again.

The lumber delivery arrives Monday morning!
View attachment 96942
The four blocks in the foreground are just sitting there. I think I might eventually use them as the stoop for the man door.

Are you going to put the black plastic stuff over the grass,or just mow under the shed all the time?

The shed arrived today - some assembly required [emoji38]
d576459ce2f71623aae57a44e73b3e8f.jpg

Managed to get the deck framing completed and then painted the underside of the decking. Tomorrow I'll flip and screw down the decking, then I can raise some walls!
95072bbc8f0bfc6092a9314de97f52b0.jpg

85fa786e11a81308e879a37bed81bd4b.jpg

What.....? You are not done yet? ;) :D

Good start, must feel great!

Is that OSB you are using for the floor? I thought you should not use OSB for floors, as it sags, has this changed?

Good luck, don't over do it, Rome was not built in a day you know!

Domo

Yes, OSB. It is 3/4" T&G specifically made for flooring. I had wanted an LP product with a water resistant coating but it was unavailable in small quantities. I used this OSB in the shop attic on 24" centers and it seemed pretty stiff. On 16" centers it should work fine even with the yard tractor parked on it. I painted the underside to give it more moisture resistance.