Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

Looks good so far, Rennie. :thumb: I'm watching with interest, since I need to add a shed to our property. Still undecided about building it myself or getting a pre-fab one assembled on site by others.

Managed to get the two long walls framed and sheathed yesterday, now I have a problem - the wall with the headers for the door and window are just too darn heavy for Jan and I to lift into place. I've called a half dozen rental stores and no one rents wall jacks! What's up with that? Seems to me lots of people must need to raise a wall once in a while someone should be renting these.

Unfortunately we are expecting thunderstorms today (so much for the long term forecast) with winds gusting to over 20 mph. Might as well leave the walls down for today. The mower will be here tomorrow, if there is no rain, and he always brings two other guys with him. Wonder if they might be interested in a few extra$$?
9319fdcba25296f7e5e149661e5fa734.jpg

Giving thought to all. No room to get the truck in at an angle that would work. No trees in the right place to use as anchors. Tripod? Hmmm.

A sharp length of 2x4 pounded into the ground would be a sufficient anchor for anything, then a come-along and a pull3y on the top of an A frame, or if you nail a 2x4 on the floor and but the bottom of the wall against it, then when you pull up the wall it would pivot on the 2x4 nailed to the floor.

It's a 'light' wall, I figure around 400 lbs or so. No need, I think, for massive structures to lift it. I'm thinking a simple 12' 2 X 4 and a come along should do the trick.
2637b3b1b9b873d0f34ddb9c7ae61591.jpg

It comes with three hooks, one for attaching the come along, one with a pulley at the high end, and a hook for the wall. The one thing that could be an issue is the length of the cable. Looking into that.

I'd hold out for the yard guy first, but consider making a set like in Ryan's second link if that doesn't pan out. My dad used to keep a couple of old boat winches around just in case he needed to rig something up on a job site like that.

I looked at the winch idea, pricing similar to the come along once you add cable, but only a 600 lb rating, the winch is 2 ton. Problem with the winch is I have no idea what I might use it for after the walls are up. Seemed to me that the come along would be much more useful over time.

You can use a rope hoist in reverse to get more length out of the come-along if the rope hoist isn't cutting it.. Most rope hoists are 3:1 or more so that should give you plenty of length (and the come-along provides a lot of leverage).

The HF rope hoist says its only good for 150lbs, but a 2 ton one is only $16 at amazon https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Pulley-Block-Tackle-Hoist/dp/B001Z0WELC/

Man I should get a rope hoist that is really quite cheap.. lol...

Thank you to everyone for the input. It was invaluable.

I decided to go with a 12 foot 2 x 4 and a come along. Worked like a charm. The cable was a bit short and I could only raise the wall about 90% of the way but once gravity was on my side there was no problem.

I used a strap hinge at the base of the 2 x 4 and notched the other end to hold the extra pulley that came with the come along. I used large eyes drilled through the 2 x 4 and the top plate to secure the cable. The walls are 16 foot long and I estimate the heavier one was around 400 pounds.

Once we got them stood vertical Jan helped me with plumbing them and getting them braced. All went well with no scary moments at all.

f59006e8fb592774b5c69a7fd211f36c.jpg

cb6f74e8cfad1ef4be0e4371ab070d75.jpg

9cb918421c8132d6c2348383d99d6868.jpg

7f18defd0f5da9eabbec16af5988bf62.jpg

4a5b53120f9172343ec6e03f3f454e4c.jpg

f3458b4afa5ef72f77b074ef5ff4c533.jpg

6a306b8b38d412c6261e749f5c604a29.jpg

34d5643a9e48af4d6a38456b1485bac7.jpg

:thumb:

Smart move on having those braces already screwed to the sides as well, I'll have to keep that in mind... so often I get most of the way there but am left scratching my head on how to get it all braced in place without letting go of anything :rofl:

:thumb:

Smart move on having those braces already screwed to the sides as well, I'll have to keep that in mind... so often I get most of the way there but am left scratching my head on how to get it all braced in place without letting go of anything :rofl:

Having the braces already attached is a safety measure too. As they drag along they act as emergency stops should something let go.