Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

super impressive, not only do yo uhave the skill to build your own shop from scratch, you have the energy to move from another state, then do all the work yourself in the summertime. super impressive.

Yes, looks great. It looks like you going to install a wall light next the door, so can I assume that electricity will someday make it out to the shed? Or did I miss it in the thread and you already run a line out to it?

Yes, looks great. It looks like you going to install a wall light next the door, so can I assume that electricity will someday make it out to the shed? Or did I miss it in the thread and you already run a line out to it?

Yep, gonna run electric underground. There will be a lamp next to the man door, another over the overhead door, a couple of light fixtures inside and a couple of outlets for the mower and tractor battery chargers.

Took a day off from carpentry duties today and tackled some of the landscaping. Actually, Jan told me that we had to get her peonies in the ground before they started dying off in the little pots!

We got the flower beds done. There will be a 6' wide overhead door on the unfinished gable end and a ramp for the tractor.
cb650060216b53dea7c26a20ba11122a.jpg

8d50ea143085a6318ac151bee26a0195.jpg

The shed has progressed to the point where the only thing left to do is install the garage door and ramp. The garage door, however, is still part of the garage, or at least it was. Spent the last couple days closing up the hole where the door will be removed. Wednesday the garage door people come to make the transplant. At that point I can start moving things out of the future shop and into the shed. Time to actually get moving on building a shop!

This is what the building used to look like.
0a3679fee7e3e92d3040d0dbaece3cb6.jpg

This is what it looks like now. Behind that window will be a small office space for me. The shop will occupy the two car garage area as well as a small area behind the office.

bd9b72400e30428df4a7d322e108f4f4.jpg

b0937d64493e5aa4828617c1385745ce.jpg

Nice job Rennie. I like the color of your siding. Used to have my apartment bedroom painted that color when i was a bachelor. Paint was called avocado. :)

By the way something i have been wanting to add to this post related to shop layout.
In the garage i am currently using for a shop, there is a back door and a front door on the side of the double garage doors.
There is also a large ( 5x5 x2) sliding window in the back wall around middle way left to right and above bench height.

Well next shop i do for myself i am going to copy the door window layout.
Why?
I discovered that the air movement and natural light benefit has been fantastic. When we had the humid high heat of summer i put one of those box fans on the bench and with garage doors open and side door and rear door open i could get a really nice cross air flow which turned out to be really handy and i did not need to be living with the noise of the air scrubber.
Now i see you got windows and the large door my suggestion is see if you can somewhat mimic that configuration by making sure your office space is out of the way (if possible ) of any through draft possible. Its been really wonderful to have a nice draft going through. Just a thought.

Got the shutters on today, now it's all dressed up! The 8 x 8 post leaning a little at the end of the fence holds the hinges for a 8' swinging fence section that allows vehicles to get into the back yard. It had always seemed rather sturdy, but looked like in might be in the way when I went to install the new siding.

Turns out it was solid because it had been lagged into the old door frame through the trim board. It actually only went 2" into the ground, and it was starting to rot. Now I will have to dig a post hole and set a new post so the fence does not fall over. One job leads to the next.

9cf78e2a974d66223e838dc4a9123a76.jpg

Been working on the final details of the shed and actually got started on the shop this week. As for the shed I worked on getting some sheathing up on the inside. Not a necessity, but it gives me a lot more latitude regarding where I can hang things. Makes organization that much more efficient. I used 7/16 OSB for most of it, but I was able to salvage some 1/2 ply from the wall in the garage I had to demo - more on that later.

IMG_2167.jpg

Earlier today I dug the 40' trench from the garage to the shed. About three feet into the trenching I realized it might take me days to finish if I were to go down the required 18" for unprotected cable. It was at that point I came to two realizations; first, Brent was not likely to bring Bob all the way to Michigan to dig 40' of trench, and second, I need to go get some conduit. A quick trip to Menards got me 40' of 1/2" conduit and a reprieve from digging down 18" in some very rocky soil.

IMG_2175.jpg

On to the shop! Got the first real work done in the shop this week. There was a wall dividing off the back of the 1/2 bay that had to come out as it did not fit my floorplan. It's the wall to the right of the picture with the furniture dollies hanging on it.

IMG_2161.jpg

I was able to salvage the plywood sheathing from the back side of the wall and I think the majority of the 2x4's can be reused and save me a few bucks.

IMG_2164.jpg

Tomorrow I'll complete the running of power to the shed and get started on painting the interior walls. Nothing fancy, just a coat of primer to brighten up the inside a bit. Still have to construct the ramp and get everything hung up.

Earlier today I dug the 40' trench from the garage to the shed. About three feet into the trenching I realized it might take me days to finish if I were to go down the required 18" for unprotected cable. It was at that point I came to two realizations; first, Brent was not likely to bring Bob all the way to Michigan to dig 40' of trench, and second, I need to go get some conduit. A quick trip to Menards got me 40' of 1/2" conduit and a reprieve from digging down 18" in some very rocky soil.

View attachment 97387

LOL, That would be a lot of diesel fuel, and a messed up yard!

The inside of the storage is just about complete. Just need to add a couple of shelves. Extra lumber went up in the loft. There is plenty of floor space left for the snow blower and lawn tractor. Still need to build that ramp! I will soon be devoting all my time to getting the shop up and running!

e28b8892421c2c30a12f0f99905b9c96.jpg

c02c7ae5132d1e778a39b2d0458938aa.jpg