Shop Build - Winding River Workshop

Finally, finally I'm getting to work on the shop! I've mapped out the electrical and I am going to give the current 30a 240v panel a try. I know it seems a bit light, but I just don't have the budget to pull more power out to the shop this year. I don't anticipate issues for the winter, when the AC comes on in the summer the prognosis may change.

I got the office area (8' 6" square) and the DC & compressor closet (7' x 3') framed in. The previous owner was nice enough to leave a few extra doors behind so I have a 32" solid core for the office entrance and a pair of wood louvered doors, for a total 64" opening, for the closet.

The previous owner had wired a separate 20a circuit for each wall of the garage so I can isolate the compressor on its own breaker. As advised here I will put a cut off switch for the compressor near the exterior door so it can be shut off whenever I leave the shop.

Here's the before shots.

b6d7b5a4a308b2aa529ba74a2e55de99.jpg

992b434cc7a8e5e7d3db32009ad45e3c.jpg

Here's the after shots.

ace15aebdc2c9771bc6bcab4422d3aa4.jpg

0d7d145278c1cdd84d7d4fd8a1978755.jpg

I'll locate and wire the boxes for the office and closet next. Then I'll pull down the Sheetrock above the panel and run my circuits for the tools.

I'm going to have to get creative with the panel as it only has 8 spaces. With tandems and two pole triples I can expand that to 14. That's the current plan, but I am still thinking about upgrading the panel if I can find a good deal.

Just so you know my workshop is 200V 30 Amps, with a separate circuit for the three phase that the cyclone, the jointer and the bandsaw run on, but still the 30 Amp sub panel is OK.

Looking good Rennie. I think you'll be fine on the size of the panel for most stuff, when the AC comes into play, then you may need to cycle things on schedule to keep it from blowing the the main. I don't heat/cool my shop, just the office space. I tend to work out there as long as I can stand it, then go cool off/warm up, not that I wouldn't like to condition the shop space also.

I hope you both are right. I have my doubts. Been reading on line that some have trouble running a 3hp saw and 1.5 hp collector at the same time. Seems they pop breakers on start up when one is already running. I'll be running them as well as lighting, heater fan, and oops the compressor kicks in unexpectedly [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30].....

Guess I can make good use of that compressor cut off switch and leave it off unless I'm actually using it.

Well, I wouldn't run out and start them both at the exact same time, but if the combination of amps fit then it should work. If the amps fit and it's throwing breakers, it may be that the breakers are getting old and tripping too easily and need replacing. I've had a couple that have done that in my home panel where they weren't even drawing close to the breaker's capacity, but it was tripping early as it was just worn out/defective.

I'd still suggest running new circuits as you will need them in the future to the existing panel area as you would if it was a 100 amp panel, then if it's an issue get the panel upgraded later.

Well, I wouldn't run out and start them both at the exact same time, but if the combination of amps fit then it should work. If the amps fit and it's throwing breakers, it may be that the breakers are getting old and tripping too easily and need replacing. I've had a couple that have done that in my home panel where they weren't even drawing close to the breaker's capacity, but it was tripping early as it was just worn out/defective.

I'd still suggest running new circuits as you will need them in the future to the existing panel area as you would if it was a 100 amp panel, then if it's an issue get the panel upgraded later.

Been giving it a lot of thought. I will likely dump the idea of using the old 8 place panel with double and triple breakers and install a new 20 place panel. The thought of trying to navigate all those wires for 14 circuits in an 8 place panel. It is also an old panel with no isolated ground like the newer ones, if I understand that correctly.

The local Menards has a 20 place 100a panel that comes with half dozen breakers for $56. Seems a good deal and not much more than the total cost for all the double and triple breakers I would need to set up the old box.

I'll run everything I can think of back to the panel even though I might not need them all right away as you suggest. Good advice.

...If the amps fit and it's throwing breakers, it may be that the breakers are getting old and tripping too easily and need replacing. I've had a couple that have done that in my home panel where they weren't even drawing close to the breaker's capacity, but it was tripping early as it was just worn out/defective...

About a year ago, I had to replace the 100 amp breaker in my main panel that powered the sub-panel in the shop. With nothing but the table saw (on a 30 amp circuit) running, the 100 amp main breaker would trip. My nephew, a licensed electrician, said this happens more often than you'd think. Breakers do sometimes just weaken.

For What its worth, I used to run my DC and planer off of the same 20 amp circuit. I would have to start the DC first, then the Planer, otherwise the breaker would trip.

Not an issue now with my new subpanel.

New toy arrived!

The UPS freight guy dropped by today and after about 10 min of negotiating a difficult K turn (I live on a dead end country road) he dropped of the new dust collector. I won't be opening it for a few weeks, more pictures then.
e1bdbd2f1fb1c157fbb9b9d66a5ebda6.jpg

Opened up the wall where the old panel sits. Cleared out a dead mouse, a half dozen live beetles and two abandoned mud dauber nests. Before the new panel goes in I might need to seal up a few holes.

fb06171a1ac0f8e506736ea4a419bec0.jpg

Been giving it a lot of thought. I will likely dump the idea of using the old 8 place panel with double and triple breakers and install a new 20 place panel. The thought of trying to navigate all those wires for 14 circuits in an 8 place panel. It is also an old panel with no isolated ground like the newer ones, if I understand that correctly.

The local Menards has a 20 place 100a panel that comes with half dozen breakers for $56. Seems a good deal and not much more than the total cost for all the double and triple breakers I would need to set up the old box.

I'll run everything I can think of back to the panel even though I might not need them all right away as you suggest. Good advice.

I think you made the right choice! :thumb:

Rennie, couple points, what gauge wire do you have going into that panel. You need it heavy enough not to have a volt drop when you running all you hope to be able run at once.

And i would open those boxes and check for damage or missing bits before you end up not being able to claim. Before you put them aside to finish the shop.

Rennie, couple points, what gauge wire do you have going into that panel. You need it heavy enough not to have a volt drop when you running all you hope to be able run at once.

And i would open those boxes and check for damage or missing bits before you end up not being able to claim. Before you put them aside to finish the shop.

Good points. I had planned to open and inspect every connection. Not happy with what I've already found so I want to double check everything. The supply from the main panel in the home is a 10-3 UF cable. I expect that in the spring budget allowing, I'll upgrade to #6.

Part two of the dust collection system was picked up today. The yet to be purchased super dust deputy xl will sit on top of this.

I got this 30 gal airtight drum from a fellow in Paw Paw, who I discovered to be a woodworker and a very nice fellow. Of course I invited him to join the forum. I hope he takes me up on it!

00cae3d22c7ddb3ac74305097bcf1681.jpg